Deeside Steam & Vintage Club Fun Day Ploughing Match held at Sunnyside Farm Drumoak on Saturday 6th October 2012

BC

Today I attended as a spectator the DSVC annual fun day ploughing match which was held within a 1/4 a mile of my house. I should really have walked to the event but I wanted to try my new car on a downhill stubble park and see how the 4x4 Quattro would do in comparison with my last front wheel drive car.

Sandy Will from Standing Stones of Drumoak was there with the oldest tractor and trailing plough and seemed happy despite there being a cold wind...quite a change to his new Kubota tractor.

P1040440.jpg

A trailing plough behind a fine running Allis Chalmers from Ian Chamers from Midmar....well a tractor to suit his name ;D ;D

P1040441.jpg

His jeep was having a hard time getting out of the field but it did

P1040471.jpg

A nice looking International 444 circa 1973

P1040442.jpg

P1040443.jpg

P1040442.jpg

Next John Goodfellow's International B250 which was being used by his mate Syd who is a master ploughman and vegetable grower...obviously off to lunch when I took this photo.

P1040444.jpg

P1040445.jpg

Four folk needed to try and make John McAuley from Sauchen plough work better than it was doing

P1040446.jpg

P1040447.jpg

One happy chap having finished his rig Alec McKesssor from Blackburn with his Fergie tractor.

P1040448.jpg

Next either Richard or Roger Connon from Blairs Maryculter with his Ford 4000 and Ransomes single furrow plough which has been cut back from a 2 furrow one.

P1040449.jpg

The finish

P1040450.jpg

Charlie Kidd from Drumoak was there with his Dexta and 2 furrow plough and was cleaning the boards as I spoke to him. There was an added extra a piece of wood on top of his scrifers. I had never seen this before and he called it a "filth" board and the purpose was to push the longer stubble down instead of over the scrifers.

P1040451.jpg

Most of the ploughers were using adapted top links so the ploughs would go into the ground quicker.

P1040452.jpg

P1040453.jpg

Jacky McCauley from Lyne of Skene was there and making a grand job. His grandson was walking behing him all day and pulling the plough over at the ends. Lets hope he is watching and learning and will in a few years time be ploughing himself.

P1040454.jpg

P1040455.jpg

P1040456.jpg

Well i must say I'm glad I have changed to a 4x4 car since although the field was soft and downhill she didn't spin a wheel. tyres got a bitty dirty but a second wash for the day sorted that out. I may have to go through the same process again today if I go to another match ;D ;D

P1040470.jpg

P1040472.jpg

P1040473.jpg

hi Bill , great photos once again.liked the ones of the duncan cabed 434 , just like the the one dad had when i was little. i also liked how the 444 had a modified weight frame fitted to it , shame it was sporting ford weights though :-

hi Bill , great photos once again.liked the ones of the duncan cabed 434 , just like the the one dad had when i was little. i also liked how the 444 had a modified weight frame fitted to it , shame it was sporting ford weights though :-

Glad you enjoyed them David. Yes Jacky McCauley's 434 is a nice looking tractor. He was there again today at the Alford match but minus grand son...but he was getting some tuition from a master ploughman who told me he wsn't doing very well...but I was quite happy with what he was producing. Yes Lindsay's IH 444 tractor is a tidy one...he wasn't pleased with how his plough was doing yesterday and after tea last night he had the burner out and was making some modifications which I think paid off given the finish I saw him doing today. I only noticed they were Ford weights today when me and another chap were commenting on the fact it was a tidy tractor and he must have painted the weights recently.But well I suppose they still serve the purpose of keeping it down in the nose,

yeah noticed the 444 has power steering fitted too , another optional extra. the proper weights for that tractor bolt on underneath the nose cone

Yes David I noticed that as I was speaking to another spectator (at today's match at Alford) and the owner confirmed that he had fitted that as an after market option.

It's a fine running petrol / paraffin one which is good to see taking part since many folk use them but with diesel engines such as a P3 or and L4 fitted. Sandy also has an older water washer blue one...and as he says once started don't stop them since they are not easy to start between hot and cold as I well know with my Farmall A.