westpoint,exeter toyfair 4th nov

nathan

• 2 weeks later...

Well it only takes me 12 minutes to get there!! 8)

I thought it was areal good fair this time, lots and lots of old stuff around and loads of traders you rarely see elsewhere. A lot of old Britains, particularly picture box stuff.

Picked up the two new Joskin trailers and some pre-ordered stuff from Mandy. Tim completely ignored me though, too busy looking at chess sets!!

P

Edited by PDH

Sorry Peter, you should have given me a nudge! Yes, lots of good stuff there today but not if you'r on a tight budget. As you say, several different traders there, of which when asking their 'best price' on certain things seemed very arrogant and not willing to play so left them alone. Yes Peter, I did try negotiations with the guy that had a chess set on display but for the asking price, after beating him down, of £75 and considering the damage to it and amature 'repairs' to some of the pieces I left it where it was. Ended up purchasing a boxed Britains farm cart with plastic horse, never been out the box for £35 and an un- boxed Britains Herald weeping willow tree for £4. That's all I bought today.

took my brother along for the first time , he spent more than me and can't wait to go again. only farmer ed and mandy there today .but loads of other bits on other tables . seems the older stuff is becoming cheaper by each show i go too. roll on january for the next one.

Sorry Peter, you should have given me a nudge! Yes, lots of good stuff there today but not if you'r on a tight budget. As you say, several different traders there, of which when asking their 'best price' on certain things seemed very arrogant and not willing to play so left them alone. Yes Peter, I did try negotiations with the guy that had a chess set on display but for the asking price, after beating him down, of £75 and considering the damage to it and amature 'repairs' to some of the pieces I left it where it was. Ended up purchasing a boxed Britains farm cart with plastic horse, never been out the box for £35 and an un- boxed Britains Herald weeping willow tree for £4. That's all I bought today.

No problem Tim, you seemed engrossed and I had only a short time to do the fair. Had to get home by 12.30.

Next time P

Lucky enough I picked up a leaflet. Westrpoint dates for 2013.

Jan 27.

April 28.

Sept 1.

Nov 3.

Apparently there are regular toy fairs at the Matford Centre, the cattle market Exeter also but I don't know the dates, will try and find out. Not been to one as yet so don't know how big a do it is

Just looked it up, next one at Matford is this next Saturday, 10th. I might go just to see what it's like and if I do I'll report back.

Edited by powerrabbit

My pleasure Mark.

There seem to be quite a few toy fairs popping up all over the place in the last few years as people are beginning to realise the popularity and collectability of toys, especially now with TV programmes of an antique and collectable nature informing and making people aware of just what potential value there is in toys. If, wherever any of you are located, do a Google search for toy and collector fairs in your area, you may be surprised what may come up that you may have previously been missing.

The ones held at Newton Abbot racecource, in the betting hall, is quite small but you can often pick up some good stuff and they are a lot cheaper, probably because the dealers are more local, hire of tables is cheaper and the dealers know that we locals are not earning London wages. It is more model train orientated but generally there's a good mix and variety of toys/models. Held 4 or 5 times a year, the next one at this venue is on Sunday 9th December, put it in the diary, only £1 entry, doors open at 10am I think. Added bonus, most times, the same days as the fairs, there is a very large boot sale going on there that covers about 10 acres.