Anyone know about old or possibly antique furniture and other old things ?

Yesterday myself my mum and my dad's brother Jim and my cousin Audrey's husband Graham started to clear the furniture and carpets and curtains from my late uncle Sandy's sheltered cottage. It was a cold start to the day but it was dry and the sun was up and well me Jim and Graham were not long in loading my 5&1/2 foot wide by 12 foot long IW trailer with the furniture and carpets etc whilst mum was making milky coffee and cheese and ham baps for use 8)

Anyway my uncle Jim said two items were probably worth keeping and putting to auction. I did kinda like the table which was rather heavy in weight but I did not really give a second look at what mum referred to as "bandy" . Uncle Jim said that "bandy" as mum called it had Queen Ann legs and when I asked mum why the name " bandy" ...well it had "bandy legs" ;D ;D

Anyway both seemed too good to skip and well although I am a charitable person I still think charity begins at home and these two items might be worth putting to auction.

"Bandy" as mum calls it

P1050666.jpg

P1050667.jpg

P1050670.jpg

P1050671.jpg

Edited by BC

The first item Bill looks like what was called a 'utility' piece, made in the 1940's to the mid 50's, a walnut 'butterfly' veneered top bow fronted side table with two drawers, butterfly veneer being that the top both sides match, the veneer being sliced and than 'folded' out to give a mirroe image on both sides. The carcass looks like mahogany but the bowed legs with the pad feet look like stained beech. I think that at auction it would not make much more than up to £30 at best, generically called 'brown furniture'.

The table looks about the same period but is a more usefull and slightly more commercial piece, probably a mahogany top, veneered sides and again with beech stained legs, the 'blocks' in the corners look like pine, or what they call 'deal'.

I am inclined to agree with Tim as to the woods involved although "bendy" is a nice piece and definitely NOT utility in my opinion. I have an upmarket utility sideboard but "bendy" is vastly superior. The table could well be utility but my plan would be get them to an auction house (or get them to come to you) and get a valuation. Auctioneer valuations are usually free of charge so are well worth getting.

I'm no expert cos I know diddly squat about most fings........... but the bandy leg item looks more sort of "Art Deco" to me. My parents had some utility furniture they bought when they got married. Utility furniture; I thought would have had the utility mark on it. If I remember correctly it was like two three quarter circles overlapping one another........(CC41) You can read up on it via a Google search.

but then what do I know................ ::)

Edited by britainswomble

Old bendy legs is just gagging to be restored. The veneer looks to be in good condition, and it would look beautiful properly restored.

You seem to see this style of furniture in the Poirot series. A really elegant period!

Oh, and the strong table was probably marketed under the model name of Sampson........... probably strong enough to withstand some reproductive action..................... er,,,,,, if you catch my drift.... ::)

Edited by britainswomble

Thanks for the responses Sue and William.I will take them to an auction house in Montrose together with two clocks, two pocket watches a large trunk, a 1950's record player and two boxes of 78 RPM records to name but a few things I need to dispose of.

Thanks Tim and do you know about pocket watches as well :huh:

Funny you should ask Bill, yes I do have about a dozen pocket watches, silver key wind ones in the main, dating from the early 1860's to the 1940's, earlier being fuzee movements and later English lever and a few Swiss movements.

Oh Tim, Tim, Tim

You collect clocks - do you know anything about anniversary clocks? How to repair one for example?

I have around 7 anniversary clocks Sue, also known as dome clocks. Better known as anniversary clocks because you only need to wind them once in 12 months and to remember when to wind them people used to do it on an anniversary, like a birthday, Christmas or other memorable annual occasion, the proper name for them is '400 day' clocks (that's the average time they will run on a full wind of the mainspring) There are 2 main types, the ones with the rotating 4 ball weight pendulum and the ones with the weightet rotating disc pendulum. The pendulum, as you know, is 'suspended' on a suspension spring, which is a length of flat thin steel wire with a 'block' at each end, one to hold the pendulum and the one at the top that drives the fork that 'flicks' the anchor escapement pin from side to side when the pendulum rotates and 'twists' the suspension spring. This suspension spring is very susceptable and sensitive to damage but is about the only thing that goes wrong with these clocks, not difficult to replace but very fiddely and setting up the clock to run properly can be a pain, you need to get them 'in beat' so that the 'tick' is the same as the 'tock' and the time between tick and tock is equal. You also need to site them perfectly level by ajusting the 3 feet under the base. To transport or move them you must screw up the winder nut under the base which raises the 'cup' under the pendulum point that 'traps' the pendulum raising it up and locking it against the 'horseshoe' bracket just above it, this protects the suspension. If you need to ajust 'fast' and 'slow' (loose or gain time) you hold one of the balls in one hand and with the other turn the knurled edged disc on the top of the pendulum one way or the other, on the horseshoe bracket it's marked + and -. Am I gabbling on a bit?

Mine is the type with the 4-ball weight and the suspension spring has broken. It used to work but has moved house at least 3 times and was only running for about 15 minutes at a time. I wondered if it had been overwound and I tried to get it to work (or at least unwind the mainspring) but now the suspension spring is broken. The good thing is the mainspring promptly unwound!

I love the clock but it is just sitting on the mantelshelf and shows the right time twice a day! I have been trying to find someone to repair it but was told it was not worth the effort by the only one who bothered to respond. He suggested dumping it.

Mine is the type with the 4-ball weight and the suspension spring has broken. It used to work but has moved house at least 3 times and was only running for about 15 minutes at a time. I wondered if it had been overwound and I tried to get it to work (or at least unwind the mainspring) but now the suspension spring is broken. The good thing is the mainspring promptly unwound!

I love the clock but it is just sitting on the mantelshelf and shows the right time twice a day! I have been trying to find someone to repair it but was told it was not worth the effort by the only one who bothered to respond. He suggested dumping it.

No no no, don't dump it!!!! Look on eBay and you'll see that some types make really good money, the person who told you to dump it wants shooting! If you're good with fiddley things you can repair it yourself or if in doubt take it to your clock and watch mender/shop. The suspension spring is cheap but you will need to know the right one to get for the clock, measure the height from the bottom of the horseshoe bracket to the top of the top block and add another 10mm and this will give you the length of the suspension you will need, alternitavely, measure the clocks height from the top of the base (bottom of the pillars) to the top suspension block and this will indicate or determine what size the clock is, there are different lengths and strengths of suspension springs for different size clocks, the higher they are the thicker the suspension wire. The best type of suspension to get is 'Horolovar', they normally come in a pack of 3, If you post up a picture of the clock and tell me how high it is as I've explained, I have a chart somewhere that will give the correct suspension size and length. What make is it Sue, Kundo, Shatz, Betima, haller, Hermle?, there are so many. Also if you can read the insignia on the backplate, usually some initials in a circle, this will tell you who made the movement.

Note to Bill. Sorry for hijacking this topic and going off!!

Edited by powerrabbit

I echo that as it isn't quite antique furniture but it is an "old thing" made in the late fifties I believe.

Tim, I will take measurements (approx 9" high to my eye) and a picture. I have tried local clock repairers and they said they "do not DO anniversary clocks". Grrrr

I have looked for a maker's name and there is none just a very tiny "made in Germany" on the face (needed a magnifying glass) and Germany impressed on the back. No other insignia of any kind. I doubt if it was expensive when new as my cousin bought two when he was in the navy - one for his mother and one for his godmother, my mother.

No no no, don't dump it!!!! Look on eBay and you'll see that some types make really good money, the person who told you to dump it wants shooting! If you're good with fiddley things you can repair it yourself or if in doubt take it to your clock and watch mender/shop. The suspension spring is cheap but you will need to know the right one to get for the clock, measure the height from the bottom of the horseshoe bracket to the top of the top block and add another 10mm and this will give you the length of the suspension you will need, alternitavely, measure the clocks height from the top of the base (bottom of the pillars) to the top suspension block and this will indicate or determine what size the clock is, there are different lengths and strengths of suspension springs for different size clocks, the higher they are the thicker the suspension wire. The best type of suspension to get is 'Horolovar', they normally come in a pack of 3, If you post up a picture of the clock and tell me how high it is as I've explained, I have a chart somewhere that will give the correct suspension size and length. What make is it Sue, Kundo, Shatz, Betima, haller, Hermle?, there are so many. Also if you can read the insignia on the backplate, usually some initials in a circle, this will tell you who made the movement.

Tim don't be sorry it not hijacking in my book....its very interesting and well the two clocks I spoke about have wood around about them and the topic subject covers them within "and other old things" ;D ;D

Edited by BC

Ok Bill, that makes me feel a little better! I've got around 48 clocks, a Grandfather inherited from my late parents, a 30 hour longcase cottage dating from 1742 and also a 'modern' Westminster chime longcase from the 1980's, a nice black slate 1886 heavy mantle clock and a few 1920's and 30's mantle clocks in wooden cases, the 'Napoleon hat' type, which should really be called 'tambour' to give them their proper name, plus several wooden cased wall clocks. I've also got a collection of around 250 mechanical winding wristwatches as well. I like old wooden boxes as well, have a few, keep my watches in them, mostly oak and walnut veneer boxes with a lock and key. Also have 3 'sarcophogus' wooden tea caddies as well.

I don't feel I as bad a hoarder as some people think when I read your last post 8)

Anyway another item from my uncle I have held on to is this stick or staff which has a knob instead of a conventional handle. Mum has no idea where this item came fom but a certain professional gentleman at the funeral had a similar looking one so i looking for suggestions as to who would have used a stick or staff like this.

P1050675.jpg

P1050676.jpg

P1050677.jpg

What you would call a 'dandy' stick Bill, a well to do Victorian or Edwardian gentlemans stick, of no particular use other than, using the modern term 'cool'. Actually sticks are very collectable and can be quite valuable, especially if they're hiding anything like a sword or drinking flask under the top, that's if the top unscrews or pulls out that is. Is the 'pommell' wood or buffalo horn Bill?