Anyone know about old or possibly antique furniture and other old things ?

Your carved shepheards stick Bill is a cracker, must have taken hours to do, dated as well, quite a valuable stick.

Seeing we're now back on sticks, here's mine. First picture is of the sticks that I've made myself. The duck head sticks I bought and also the black buffalo horn one, the pheasant, badger, eagle and the two fox head ones, these two are riding crops, I bought at a farm house sale many years ago. The two sheeps horn shepheards sticks were given to me. I like sticks, as you can probably guess, I select the shafts when I go out about cutting my runner bean sticks for the garden selecting the straightest hazel ones for my stick making and always keeping an eye out for anything that lends itself to the making of the handle or mount, I have a friend that does a lot of deer control so he supplies me with antlers.

post-806-0-69585800-1354028925_thumb.jpg   post-806-0-35154200-1354028955_thumb.jpg   post-806-0-93810300-1354028983_thumb.jpg   post-806-0-70346900-1354029015_thumb.jpg   post-806-0-95012500-1354029045_thumb.jpg

I have two antler topped thumbsticks.  One is mine which was reduced in size to fit  and is cherry. The other was my husband's and think that is hazel.  We used to do a lot of walking at one time and a thumbstick is ideal when the going is steep and slippery!  Haven't used them for a few years so they just sit in the umbrella stand along with my father's walking stick.  I really should find the last two a good home.

What you would call a 'dandy' stick Bill, a well to do Victorian or Edwardian gentlemans stick, of no particular use other than, using the modern term 'cool'. Actually sticks are very collectable and can be quite valuable, especially if they're hiding anything like a sword or drinking flask under the top, that's if the top unscrews or pulls out that is. Is the 'pommell' wood or buffalo horn Bill?

Good question but too good a one for me to answer Tim....I suspect it is not wood though :unsure:

Your carved shepheards stick Bill is a cracker, must have taken hours to do, dated as well, quite a valuable stick.

Seeing we're now back on sticks, here's mine. First picture is of the sticks that I've made myself. The duck head sticks I bought and also the black buffalo horn one, the pheasant, badger, eagle and the two fox head ones, these two are riding crops, I bought at a farm house sale many years ago. The two sheeps horn shepheards sticks were given to me. I like sticks, as you can probably guess, I select the shafts when I go out about cutting my runner bean sticks for the garden selecting the straightest hazel ones for my stick making and always keeping an eye out for anything that lends itself to the making of the handle or mount, I have a friend that does a lot of deer control so he supplies me with antlers.

You have a fair old collection there Tim 8)

As for the 1928 F F Hepburn stick this was given to my dad by a cousin of my mums dad who we used to visit in the Aberdeenshore village of ne Pitsligo or "Cyaak" as the locals called it. It was a lovely village and as soon as you came into it you could smeel burning peats since I think most houses burned peat versus coal since there were so many peat mosses around the area. As far as |i can remember F F Hepburn was a friend of my grandfathers cousin and I assume the 1928 was when the stick was made.

Going back to the subject of clocks, it's funny how things turn up. I went and did a bit of shopping this morning to re-plenish the fridge and in the town when I go there I always go in the many charity shops in the town, well, you never know! In one of them I picked up this mid-size 400 day (anniversary) rather pretty clock which cost me the princely sum of £3. I've spent 10 minutes cleaning and setting it up and it seems to be running very well It's 6" in overall height to the top of the glass dome.

post-806-0-76632800-1354111841_thumb.jpg

Going back to the subject of clocks, it's funny how things turn up. I went and did a bit of shopping this morning to re-plenish the fridge and in the town when I go there I always go in the many charity shops in the town, well, you never know! In one of them I picked up this mid-size 400 day (anniversary) rather pretty clock which cost me the princely sum of £3. I've spent 10 minutes cleaning and setting it up and it seems to be running very well It's 6" in overall height to the top of the glass dome.

post-806-0-76632800-1354111841_thumb.jpg

Seems that my last post has been doubled. ::)  Yes Sue, it is rather pretty, the same clock was available with a black face and pillars , which contrasted well with the gold and the roses, this particular model was available from about the early 1950's to the early 1960's, after that the base and dome were made of plastic. If it was powered by a battery then I would have left it in the shop. This one also has 'Germany' stamped into the backplate of the movement, they were all German movements but prior to the 1950's and the better quality more expensive ones normally carried the clock makers name marks on the movement and the dial.

That one Sue looks like a Kern or Kundo and it does need a cnew suspension spring. I think the size for the clock would be a 00.23" (.058mm) spring, there are different thicknesses and lengths depending on the 'weight' of the pendulum and height of the clock in relation to the pillars. Your best bet would be to take it to your local clock/watch mender and get him to do it, like I said, the spring is very cheap and if you buy them yourself come in a pack of 3 but you would probably never use the other 2 if you did the repair yourself unless you intended to aquire more of these clocks.

Apart from the Made in GT Britain on the dial of the first one Bill, I can't quite read what else is on it, it looks to be a late Swiss lever movement keyless nickel brass cased watch from around the 1930's. The second one however is a military issue 'services' watch, issued to the Army to each soldier as part of their kit, the broad arrow on the back is the clue. The letter and number could either be the serial number of the watch or the soldiers  ID number to who it was issued, it's worth a fair bit more than the first one being of military interest, It has a Swiss lever movement, again keyless wind, probably by Ingersol.

• Like 1

Apart from the Made in GT Britain on the dial of the first one Bill, I can't quite read what else is on it, it looks to be a late Swiss lever movement keyless nickel brass cased watch from around the 1930's. The second one however is a military issue 'services' watch, issued to the Army to each soldier as part of their kit, the broad arrow on the back is the clue. The letter and number could either be the serial number of the watch or the soldiers  ID number to who it was issued, it's worth a fair bit more than the first one being of military interest, It has a Swiss lever movement, again keyless wind, probably by Ingersol.

The first one is an Ingersoll Tim.

I'm just off the phone to mum and she suspects this was her dads watch when he was in the 1914 to 1918 Word War One. He was born in 1895 and died in 1969. When I have tried winding up this watch the hands go round and round like a bat out of hell.I think this one will be another one that will go to the auction house at Montrose since well I cannot keep acquiring collections. I beginning to think it is now time to downsize and start selling things off...well Britain's and BFA'a and my five vintage tractors excluded  ;D  ;D

Perhaps it belonged to a pilot Bill if the hands are 'flying' around! ;)  Seriously though, what's happening is that the release dog on the power wheel from the mainspring barrel has broken and not holding the gear that drives the hands and the mainspring is just releasing itself, basically unwinding itself. Probably would not cost much to get it repaired as the parts I would say will be readily available being probably an Ingersol movement, in fact most Swiss made movements share common component parts. I ommitted at a guess to the age as watches of this nature spanned both World Wars.

Edited by powerrabbit

Tim grand dad was certainly not a pilot more of a horseman and car driver and very rarely on a tractor other than when leading at harvest time. Once he wasn't fit enough for that I took over his job on the Nuffield 8)

I was sorting through some of the little odds and ends cleared from my uncles house.

Seems I have acquired a collection of knifes.

P1050690.jpg

Some old tins with an old match box and small tape line.

P1050691.jpg

Some tobacco tins which I have a fair amount of already.

P1050692.jpg

Marbles and dice

P1050693.jpg

Another Xmas box

P1050701.jpg

Oh what a mixture including razor blades

P1050702.jpg

This looks like a fairly old torch

P1050703.jpg

Another couple of rules for my rule collection.

P1050704.jpg

A book from the time when he was running Vauxhaul cars

P1050705.jpg

Back on the pencil theme. I suspect this little thing which looks a bit like a pin vice maybe was used to get as much of a pencil used as possible :huh:

P1050715.jpg

P1050716.jpg

I suspect this is a rather old unused pencil

P1050717.jpg

And from the Forth Bridge Edinburgh

P1050718.jpg

To John O Groats

P1050719.jpg

Edited by BC

A few old bone egg spoons

P1050721.jpg

Another weighing device to add to my collection of them

P1050720.jpg

A bit battered and worm box wise but I remember playing with these as a kid so I'll be keeping this set since all present and correct I think...28 in total

P1050722.jpg

P1050723.jpg

Edited by BC

The pocket knives are interestin, I recognise the second one with the 'turnbuckle' ring in the front to lock the blade, it's an Opinel. I have a fair collection of pocket knives, a couple of those small celluloid covered handle ones, generically called pen knives. I like the types that have horn and bone handles.

The marbles in the main are old Victorian ones, especially the red/yellow swirl one, the buff coloured ones look like very early clay marbles.

In the box with the razorblades, those round shiny ring things under the razorblades are expanding shirt sleeve keeper uppers, my father used to wear a pair when he went out in his best shirt, you pull your shirt sleeves up so that the cuffs don't come down over your hands if the sleeves are a bit too long by wearing the bands around your bicepts.  I also see in the middle bottom of the tin an old shirt collar stud, early ones were ivory and gold. Wasn't the smiley face on the pencil Bill the early 'Fanta' orange fizzy drink logo? I bet you've been having a lot of fun 'discovering'.