Anyone know about old or possibly antique furniture and other old things ?

I think I have a box of 78s somewhere! 

Off down memory lane - the "Singing Cowboys"  Roy Rogers and his horse, Trigger, Gene Autry and his horse, Champion.  One of them had a girlfriend called Dale but I cannot remember which (or was it both?)  I think I have Gene Autry 78s in the collection - Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer was my favourite with Santa, Santa on the other side.

• Like 1

The pocket knives are interestin, I recognise the second one with the 'turnbuckle' ring in the front to lock the blade, it's an Opinel. I have a fair collection of pocket knives, a couple of those small celluloid covered handle ones, generically called pen knives. I like the types that have horn and bone handles.

The marbles in the main are old Victorian ones, especially the red/yellow swirl one, the buff coloured ones look like very early clay marbles.

In the box with the razorblades, those round shiny ring things under the razorblades are expanding shirt sleeve keeper uppers, my father used to wear a pair when he went out in his best shirt, you pull your shirt sleeves up so that the cuffs don't come down over your hands if the sleeves are a bit too long by wearing the bands around your bicepts.  I also see in the middle bottom of the tin an old shirt collar stud, early ones were ivory and gold. Wasn't the smiley face on the pencil Bill the early 'Fanta' orange fizzy drink logo? I bet you've been having a lot of fun 'discovering'.

I'm not too sure about smiley face and Fanta but could have been.Sunfresh :huh:

P1050855.jpg

P1050856.jpg

P1050857.jpg

P1050858.jpg

Edited by BC

That's a nice bracket clock Bill, I'm a little jealous!

Roy Rogers' wife Sue was Dale Evans. Gene Autrey, as you rightly say Sue, sang the theme to the TV programme 'Champion the wonder horse'.

I know this is going off track a bit but my early memories of these types of programmes Sue and still hearing the theme tune/song rining in my ears are of 'The Virginian' with Clint Eastwood, 'Bonanza' and also 'The Lone Ranger', all had their heros' that every young boy aspired to. Must also not forget the talking horse 'Mr. Ed'. A horse is a horse of course of course. Hi Ho Silver!

• Like 1

That's a nice bracket clock Bill, I'm a little jealous!

Roy Rogers' wife Sue was Dale Evans. Gene Autrey, as you rightly say Sue, sang the theme to the TV programme 'Champion the wonder horse'.

Well Tim lets say I acquired that clock more than 25 years ago from Culter House Peterculter where my dad used to work before the private boarding school house closed down. Dad was given the task of disposing of all the old furniture etc but he kept back this clock. He carted loads upon loads of pine dressers to an auction house at Montrose and got around £ 50 to £ 80 a piece and that was as I saw over 25 years ago. Any information on the "bracket" clock appreciated Tim and has it any worth in your opinion.... I don't really want to sell it since it is a nice clock and keeps good time when I remember to wind it up ;D  ;D

I know this is going off track a bit but my early memories of these types of programmes Sue and still hearing the theme tune/song rining in my ears are of 'The Virginian' with Clint Eastwood, 'Bonanza' and also 'The Lone Ranger', all had their heros' that every young boy aspired to. Must also not forget the talking horse 'Mr. Ed'. A horse is a horse of course of course. Hi Ho Silver!

I remember The Virginian and one of the cow-hands or cowboys was Trampus...Doug MacLure.I remember Bonanza too and especially "Hoss". The lone ranger was a wee bit before my time.

The china house is interesting, must say I've never seen one. You could still use it as a pastille burner, pastille being a scented substance that you set light to, smoulders and gives off a scented smoke, purpose made pastille burners were produced in the same form, houses or a cottage back in Victorian times and earlier, here's one that has been in my family ever since I can remember, you put the pastille in the hole at the back. They can be found in varying sizes, this one is just a shade under 4" high to the top of the chimney.

post-806-0-26773900-1354645585_thumb.jpg   post-806-0-06979600-1354645611_thumb.jpg

Those house and cottage ashtrays were popular and often found in souvenir shops when I was about 5 years old.  You are probably too young, Tim,  I bought one (they were cheap) as a present for my grandmother when I was on holiday.  Around 1951/52.  As I said they did not work, unlike the pastille burners, as they were simply novelty items - something that had not been seen during the war years and austerity.  They quickly went out of fashion (not surprising)

Something else here that might be of interest, I have a small collection of chamber sticks, or 'go-to-bed' candle holders as some call them. Back in November around the Armistace time of the month there was a whole day of TV programmes on the Great War, WW1. One of the programmes showed a lot of photos of the time of soldiers in the trenches, one photograph showed a soldier in the trenches on his 'bunk' and on the 'shelf' above his shoulder was placed a candle in a holder, the holder was the exact same as the one I have here that I picked up for 20p at a boot sale. It's nice to be able to accurately date something.

post-806-0-27489000-1354738938_thumb.jpg

I have seen one of the more conventional candle holders - the type you see in illustrations in old books such as "Christmas Carol".  I think it belonged to my grandparents but have no idea what happened to it.  t do remember carrying it (with candle lit) up the stairs to bed during a power cut when I was very young and thought it was wonderful.  The light, though, was not brilliant!

I have to say that if I had seen yours at that boot sale I would happily have bought it too.  I love copper and brass.

Edited by Leakeyvale

Here's a couple more. The one with the red candle is silver plated and the matchbox is contained in the base. The brass one is older and has stamped on it 'Soho Dunny light, Soho Foundry Soverign Hill Ballarat.

post-806-0-25109000-1354789636_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple more. The one with the red candle is silver plated and the matchbox is contained in the base. The brass one is older and has stamped on it 'Soho Dunny light, Soho Foundry Soverign Hill Ballarat.

attachicon.gifP10001371.JPG

Isn't "Dunny" Aussie slang name for toilet?

Just Googled "Ballarat" - yup it's in Austrailia.  So that is a well travelled item. ;D

Yes, when I found it on a stall at an antiques fair the candle stub that was still in it was upsidedown. ;)

That tin Bill dates to the late 1960's. no barcode on it which puts it pre-1980's at least. I still have several tins of that type in my 'larder', both square and round ones, early 1960's Quality Street and a Lucky Numbers sweet tins that my Mother used to keep her cake in. These tins used to hold 5lb of sweets and not the 1k like they do now. But then, they do say that the World is getting smaller! (and lighter)

• Like 1

This candlestick is an interesting and rather rare example of a mid Victorian 'students' desk lamp. the bottom is heavily weighted and the top 'reflector' and chimney part lifts off, the candle is inserted by pushing down the top bayonet sleeve and turning, like fitting a bulb, under the candle in the stem tube is a long coil spring which as the candle burns pushes up the candle. No candle wax runs as the wax burns as well.

post-806-0-28978500-1354820199_thumb.jpg   post-806-0-84909800-1354820227_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Although I would not have described my uncle as much of a book reader I see my mum has kept back a couple.

In Aberdeenshire especially when in the area of Udny you could be asked "Whas feel R E"....well that would be referrring to Jamie Fleeman The Laird of Udny's Fool.

A little more detail here but even I was having to translate it slowly.

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/elphinstone/kist/search/display.php?wjoh03.dat

Anyway the book looks very very old and I must have a read when I can get some time.

P1050891.jpg

P1050892.jpg

P1050893.jpg

Udny Castle

P1050894.jpg

Slains Castle

P1050896.jpg

Knockhall Castle

P1050897.jpg

Longside Church

P1050898.jpg

Jamie is beeriet in the Kirkyaird at Langside far, in 1861, a gravesteen wis erected tae his memory wi' his last wirdies screived on it, 'Dinna bury me like a beast." 

P1050899.jpg

Another interesting looking read will be "The Cornkister Days" by David Kerr Cameron and the introduction by Jack Webster. Jack Webster is a journalist broadcaster and author from Maud in Aberdeenshire and this man almost sings as he speaks. Even "Scotland The What" trio did a sketch on him which is highly amusing....I sure it will be in here somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/show/scotlandthewhat

P1050900.jpg

P1050901.jpg

P1050902.jpg

P1050903.jpg