Anyone know about old or possibly antique furniture and other old things ?

Today I decided I had better take some photos since well my restoration projects usually go on for a while so I don't want to forget who it all goes together again.

P1000013.jpg

P1000014.jpg

P1000015.jpg

P1000016.jpg

P1000017.jpg

P1000018.jpg

Away to soak the nuts and screw heads with good all WD40

There may have been a crack in the broken part already Bill from when it was cast from new, cast iron is well known for inherent casting flaws, you could have it welded properly using an arc welder with a cast rod. If you have trouble unscrewing the nuts, give them a good heat up with a blowlamp to expand them and spanner them off whilst hot.

Tim after a good soaking with WD 40 the square nuts and screws came off / out easily. I just need the wooden bits to dry out naturally after being outside for a couple of weeks and then get the wood worm treatment done ( it may be dead anyway) and then get cleaned up and sanded....I don't really want to replace the timber. I think i will leave the cast bits until the better days before I get the local blacksmith or should I say fabricator to shot blast them ...then I will spray them since that seems an easier option than hand painting since there are a lot of "nooks" and "crannies" in a steel yard..in addition it is amazing how heavy the whole thing is.

I'm a great believer in heat to help dismantling metal things Tim but when in conjunction with wood I didn't want to risk charring the wood.

My impact sockets went up to 1mm smaller than the nut but an ordinary socket in the air gun did the business.

P1000022.jpg

P1000023.jpg

Pieces of lead under the round bitty for calibration purposes I assume.

P1000024.jpg

And pieces of thick brown or gasket type paper under this bit.

P1000025.jpg

Relating back to the ceramic cottage that Bill posted up a few pages back in this topic reminded me of something similar that I saw in a charity shop some weeks ago. Today, going to town to finish my Christmas shopping I looked in the shop and it was still there, so I bought it. Looking at it through the glass fronted shop counter I thought Crown Devon (Fieldings) or Carlton Ware perhaps?, looking at it closer and inspecting the factory marks, no, neither, better still. There are several variants of this butter/cheese dish but this is the early one, model number 251. The 'backstamp' of which this one bears is from 1936. Not a rare item but nice to find in perfect condition.

post-806-0-03619200-1355944935_thumb.jpg   post-806-0-66981600-1355944962_thumb.jpg   post-806-0-00869600-1355944988_thumb.jpg   post-806-0-73914300-1355945016_thumb.jpg

• Like 1