Restoration of a Classic John Deere 3130

BC

Vic Mathers latest tractor acquisition is this L reg John Deere 3130 I think...but correct me if I'm wrong. Vic was saying it had a Duncan cab on it which he has removed and sold on. Given I'm over in his area at least once a week I think I will follow the restoration of this classic.

P1000070.jpg

P1000071.jpg

Hope the hydraulics are ok on this project Bill........ the 3130 has oil imersed brakes, when the linings wear out the hydraulics fill up with metal particles from the metal to metal contact in the brakes....... and fill everything the pumps the spools the job lot.

I learnt about that from a tractor that cashquick enterprises had, from memory was a good tractor but the hydraulic problems meant an expensive re build so he sold the tractor on.

Looking forward to seeing a bit more of your updates on the progress :)

Thanks Paul I,ll have to tell Vic about that since well I think this is the first encounter he has had with a John Deere.

No probs Bill, if he checks the hydraulic filters ( especially if they look like they haven't been touched in a long while) and the brakes aren't too badly worn then chances are it be ok, just something for him to be aware of.

Sometimes others mistakes make jobs a bit easier ;)

• 1 month later...

I went in past to see Vic yesterday and his mechanic has the head off and found a gremlin nut and a damaged valve in the head. New valve on order which should arrive on Monday and should be running again by Monday. They were quite happy with the  bores so no need to spend £ 500 + VAT on a set of pistons and liners.

P1000543.jpg

P1000544.jpg

P1000545.jpg

I could bet my cotton socks it could well be up and running as Vic said by Monday assuming the replacement value arrives.Paul.

Although Vic is 78 he flies about like a young one and his restoration progress quickly. He want to get it out of the workshop and into the back of one of his container vans freeing up space so they can get to work on panel replacements on a 1990's Scania V8 143.

Straying off topic slightly but on the subject of Scania's the mechanic was replacing a manifold stub on Vic's son's Colin's Scania R620 V8. Vic was saying this unit was getting ready for a haulage job they have never done in 45 years of business. An ex employee of Vic who worked in the office died of cancer at the age of 56 and it was his wish that instead of a hearse  he wished to be transported from his home to the crematorium on the back of a lorry. `I have never seen this done before but Vic said his son Colin was honoured to be asked to do this job.

14082010057.jpg

• Like 1