Displenished Sale East Cairnton Drumoak 19th October 2013

BC

More inputs and apologies for the rain spots since it was actually still raining when I first arrived at the sale.

This 2 furrow conventional plough failed to sell at £ 260

P1080169_zpsd9f1ad6f.jpg

The Fordson Major went to £ 950 but was unsold

P1080168_zps4134fdb8.jpg

P1080166_zps7b30887f.jpg

And this digger failed to find a new home despite bidding reaching £ 1,850

P1080167_zpsc467dba5.jpg

P1080165_zpsbf456a08.jpg

Well in some ways it must have been a sad day for Charlie since he has farmed East Cairnton all his life as did his father before him. He still has the farm house and old steading together with one field and a newer shed and he still has retained 8 vintage and classic tractors so he will still have something to do.

I did not buy anything other than my lunch was the best stovies with oatcakes I have had in a long time from the caterers Country Flavours from Alford.

P1080186_zpsc0305a02.jpg

P1080185_zps52219a4b.jpg

P1080184_zpsae25d277.jpg

Nice machinery and it looked in good nick if I wa s there id be after the MF combine :D But in the other hand  its sad to see family farms like this selling up and no one in the family is there to take it on. 

Pity about the rain, and the prices appear to have been average. Thanks for this report Bill.

You are welcome Kenny. Aye the rain did make it heavy going in the field and yes prices did not make silly money. I think charlie was disappointed with teh price on the fertilizer spreader which he had bought less than two year ago for £2k but then that is how the cookies crumbles.

Nice machinery and it looked in good nick if I wa s there id be after the MF combine :D But in the other hand  its sad to see family farms like this selling up and no one in the family is there to take it on. 

The farm was only just over 100 acres and rented Robert and although Charlie has a son Sandy who has a house just opposite the newer court and buildings he has a good job and probably did not want to be lumbered feeding cattle twice a day 365 days a year. The place is up for rent and rumour has it the offers were in the region of £ 150 per acre.So over £ 15k rent before you even start to think about making any money for your work.

I was speaking to Charlies ex son in law Bob Milne at a ploughing match on Sunday (when I say ex  he is divorced from Charlie's daughter but was still helping Charlie at the sale and directing traffic at the sale with his ex wife and his two children) and he was saying Charlie had considered keeping the combine since it had a good engine. I don't know who bought it but I hope it is to use and preserve otherwise Charlie would have made more keeping the engine and scrapping the rest of the combine...but Charlie was not that sort of character.....but me thinks a local buyer of some of the cheap implements may have been carting stuff into John Lawrie a major scrap merchant in Aberdeen today and have made a tidy profit.

Archived