Looking to get a new laptop but not sure what to go for looking to spend around £500 the laptop would be used for general stuff and uploading and to store pictures from my phone and new camera when it turns up.

so just looking to know what you all think I should go for. oh and feel free to post a link if you see any on line we have a Currys/PC world near hand if that helps.

I have a HP Pavilion  dv6 and find it great and reasonably fast.One word of warning though -Ask for a demo of the inbuilt camera. Mine never worked but warranty was out before I googled it and found that it was a common complaint

F

I bought one of these just before xmas, well worth the money, although its gone up since I bought mine, I only paid 499 or close to that, nice and light weight wise, touch screen which brings the best out of windows 8 ,i5 processor so pretty dam quick at most things .
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-touchsmart-14-n055sa-14-touchscreen-laptop-21729449-pdt.html

It all depends on what your actually looking to do with it at the end of the day.. If your only looking it for web and pics etc, Any laptop will do that no problem..

Some makes are slightly better than others, build quality etc but not much.. 

I also have an HP, mines a Envy14 Beats edition. Although mines a big engine so to speak, cracking bit of kit. Handles all the big programs I throw at her.. 

A simple HP, with i5 processor and 4GB Ram would probably suit you grand!  ;)

They are all much of a muchness now, several carrying different brand names are in fact the same, sharing the same motherboard and components. I would go for the highest spec one you can for the money you wish to spend, biggest RAM, most USB ports etc. The most important thing is to take out an extended warrantee and consider the (PC World) 'whatever happens' protection, pay so much a month by DD and the PC is covered for life but there are different levels of 'cover' so look at them all. And make sure that the bleeding user manual is in ENGLISH!

that what ever happens policy was featured on watch dog last year . it wasn't worth it as they wouldn't honour what ever happens. seems it was a sales gimmick . best read the small print before signing up to these after care deals

I've got a laptop covered by it, yes there are issues but the Watchdog piece was reporting on a specific store where the salesman did not fill in the details properly, I had to use 'whatever happens' and had no problems with the service at all, if you subscribe to it they are under a legal obligation to honour it.

Ended up with this.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-e1-570-15-6-laptop-21743676-pdt.html

We have one at home for the last 6 years and all the family use it and its still going every day so its always on the go I just wanted one of my own so hope this one does as well as the old one.

Good choice, Acer laptops are one of the best brands and the specs are really good, not sure about W8 though, Brother has W8 laptop and it takes a lot of getting used to, much more complicated than W7 but given time might get to grips with it.

windows 8 is great tim, but you really do need the touch screen laptop to get the best out of it ,mines 8 and touch screen, but my work one is to, we trialed it for Microsoft a good 12 months before it came out for sale when we got our new laptops there ,so I am very used to it , seems people that  have a non touch version  hate it ???  and I can in some ways see why

acer, Packard bell ,hp and a couple of other brands are all basicly the same company anyway, cant remember the parent group , so none are any better than the others as such ,its more down to the spec you get like intel processors over amd's and other bits etc,only separate companys doing laptops independently as such now are Toshiba ,Samsung ,apple and dell 

Archived