The Matthiesen Collection.

Introduction.

For some time I have considered publishing parts of my collection in order to let other Britains collectors be aware of the existence of some variations or pre productions you will not be likely to see elsewhere. For the same reason I will not be posting endless tirades of pictures of the more generic models, as they are already covered in some of the excellent collections published on this forum. As several of the models below are not featured in any published literature as of yet, it is my hope they can help to shed some light on the fascinating history of Britains product development. If you hold any further information than what is written here, please feel free to share it.

Sample issue of Britains Autoway Volvo BM Valmet 805.

Item number: 9890.

Factory: Blackhorse Lane.

Date of production: October or November 1985.

post-2305-0-59105000-1391178650_thumb.jp

post-2305-0-15491400-1391178661_thumb.jp

post-2305-0-43359800-1391178668_thumb.jp

post-2305-0-24801500-1391179036_thumb.jp

Overview:

The model is a sample of the famous Britains Autoway Volvo BM Valmet 805 available for only one year in 1986. It has a common feature for samples: a white sticker on top of the cab stating “Sample onlyâ€, but no sample mark to the box. Unlike other samples, it diverges from the finished model in terms of the exhaust, which is finished in black plastic and is significantly taller and slimmer than the finished issue. As can be seen in photo, the sample exhaust is a much more precise replica of the actual exhaust of the Volvo BM Valmet 805. However, as the model has the same steering mechanism as introduced on the Renault TX 145-14 (“double steering†through both steering wheel in cab as well as air filter/exhaust), the exhaust is evidently too fragile to handle such a system. In order to upgrade the exhaust in terms of durability, Britains developed the first, and only, metal exhaust.

The model is almost similar to the catalogue edition of the Autoway Valmet, however, the tempo decal stripe is finished in black, as the finished model, whereas the catalogue model has a white stripe (see Britains 1986 catalogue). This is an indication, that this model was the later issue of the two, changing the white decal prior to general release. In the 1986 catalogue, as well as on the back of the boxes, a red version is shown with the same exhaust. Has everyone ever seen the red issue with a similar exhaust?

Trial issue of Britains (Volvo BM) Valmet 805.

Item number: 9515.

Factory: Probably Nottingham.

Date of production: Between 1989 and 1996.

post-2305-0-12746600-1391178530_thumb.jp

post-2305-0-70838100-1391178560_thumb.jp

post-2305-0-56371500-1391178568_thumb.jp

Overview:

The model is a pre production or trial run issue finished in clear, white plastic. It would be logical to assume it was made prior to the introduction of the Volvo BM Valmet 805 in 1986, however, two important factors oppose this theory. Firstly, it is fitted with the regular, black metal exhaust, which was casted after the Volvo Valmet had been developed. Furthermore, the model is fitted with holes (similar Pullen, David, Pocket Guide to Britains Model Tractors 1948 – 1998, page 17, 2003, Oldpond and http://www.christies.com/lotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=4533975) for the safety frame used for the forest tractor version introduced in 1989. Only models from 1989 onwards contained said holes in the chassis. As the exhaust was changed in 1996 to simply feature a round metal pole, the model is therefore believed to have been produced between 1989 and 1996. The most logical time of production would have been with the transfer of the entire production line to the Petite factory in Nottingham in 1992.

Britains Valmet 805 double rear wheels.

Item number: 5484.

Date of production: 1988.

post-2305-0-40529100-1391178792_thumb.jp

post-2305-0-11423900-1391178798_thumb.jp

post-2305-0-53656000-1391178804_thumb.jp

Overview:

As it can be seen in the pictures, this model is similar to the 1989 Valmet 805 (British colour variation) except it has double rear wheels and is contained in a late issue rainbow box. It is likely that this model were among the last batch of the regular #5484 Volvo BM Valmet, as it has the 1989 Valmet casting on the bonnet. The model was purchased in 2008 in Sweden, and when I made the purchase I was told that it came from a Swedish Valmet dealership, so it is also possible that is indeed a Swedish dealer edition with a very limited run.

Britains Valmet 8750.

Item number: 9439.

Factory: Nottingham.

Date of production: January 1997.

post-2305-0-56012400-1391178856_thumb.jp
post-2305-0-65008200-1391178864_thumb.jp
post-2305-0-32816800-1391178869_thumb.jp

Overview:

The model is similar to the regular red Valmet 8750 except for the blue bonnet. The model was among the very first Valmet 8750 to be produced. 

A few observations/questions

As a sample copy it appears to have been released for sale, going by the price sticker on box. Where/how did you acquire it?

Does the exhaust actually operate the steering?

Catalogues show/use mock ups for illustration purposes.

I love the label on the box, how did they cram three tractors in there  ;)

Could this be a pre production version of 9516 before they worked out that little fingers(or big) couldn't operate the exhaust steering with the frame work in the way?

The number gives it away, being in the 5000's as opposed to 9000's. Most likely a limited release for a certain market. A nice find all the same.

I'm sure I've seen one of these before somewhere. Is it the same colour as the normal blue version on floatation wheels/tyres?

more please.......

@Shaun: Thank you. A few more will come in the following days.

@Paul:

#9890: I doubt it was ever released for general sale, though I could be mistaken. I find it plausible it was used as a show/demonstration model, though it does not appear to have spent many hours outside the box. The sticker on the box somewhat supports this, as the price is stated for both purchase and retail. As on the normal #9890 the exhaust operates the steering, but the exhaust is far more fragile. To get an idea of the concept, imagine the Deutz DX 4.57 had a similar steering system via the exhaust, and you would have an idea as to how vulnerable the mechanism is.

Haha, I expect the trade box label is to illustrate that the purchase quantities are three, six, nine etc. :)

#9515: It could very well be, however, as there is neither cab nor safety frame to go with it, it would make little sense to make a pre production similar to a regular #9515 without cab. I find it more likely to be a test run for a new plastic composition, but my guess is as good as yours.

#5484: That is correct, however, it has the same number as the regular Volvo BM Valmet 805 with dual rear wheels, even though the bonnet is different. So it does not seem to be an "independent" model. 

post-2305-0-51751000-1391196191_thumb.jp

Picture is copyright of www.britainstoys.nl

#9439: Yes, it is. Potentially they could be easily forged, but mine came from a reliable source.

#9515: It could very well be, however, as there is neither cab nor safety frame to go with it, it would make little sense to make a pre production similar to a regular

#9515 without cab. I find it more likely to be a test run for a new plastic composition, but my guess is as good as yours.

#5484: That is correct, however, it has the same number as the regular Volvo BM Valmet 805 with dual rear wheels, even though the bonnet is different. So it does not seem to be an "independent" model. 

As its getting on for 25+ years old pieces do go missing, I have a Toy Fair display fold up cultivator in a designated/fitted box and one wing of this is missing, although this is assuming that it had both in the first place  ::) my guess is as good as yours too  :)

We didn't get the dual wheeled version as 5484 in either version shown and it appears to be unlisted in any catalogue, but we did get the later version as 9505 with the black cab, so a special run for a limited market I still think, regular numbers being in the 9000 range and special/limited runs being in the 5000 range of numbers. More to look out for methinks, I don't have any of the 5 coloured versions either, a lot of bread to acquire let alone being in the right place at the right time.

@Paul: I appreciate your intriguing theory, and it is indeed very possible that it was fitted with cab as well as safety frame when made. However, a similar model is illustrated in Peter Baron’s Toy Tractors From Britains, page 1 and David Pullen’s Pocket Guide To Britains Model Tractors 1948 – 1998, page 17 as well as in this lot: http://www.christies.com/lotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=4533975. It cannot be ruled out that some of these models are not just identical models but simply the same. The model from the Christie’s sale ended up in a Dutch collection, but I am unaware of the whereabouts of the other two. While it can not be determined by the photo in Peter Baron’s book if the model has holes for the safety frame, both of the other models have said holes and none of them are fitted with neither cab nor safety frame, which has lead me to believe that none of them was equipped with these features when made. 

In regard to the #5484, the Volvo BM Valmet version, though very rare, seems to be the more common of the two. Even if it was never listed in any official catalogue, it was shown several times in various advertising material used in Denmark (probably made by the Danish Britains importer). Here is an example from a 1987 Christmas catalogue from a major Danish chain of toyshops.

post-2305-0-24994300-1391290573_thumb.jp

Close-up of the Volvo BM Valmet with double rear wheels. Note the item number is shown in brackets.

post-2305-0-30346700-1391290600_thumb.jp

The promoted part of the range for Christmas of 1987.

@John: The short answer is: I do not know. When that is said, I think it would be more logical to assume, that any variations would occur in the selection of pre production models and not within the samples. This can be seen with the 1983 Chevrolet truck, which was made in at least 4 different colour variations before deciding on the yellow version. 

Show model of Britains Fiat 880 DT (Orange).

Item number: 9528.

Date of production: Between 1979 and 1981.

post-2305-0-01407900-1391352443_thumb.jp

post-2305-0-77924600-1391352456_thumb.jp

post-2305-0-05254700-1391352470_thumb.jp

Overview:

The model is a show version of the Fiat 880 DT. The background for the stand is identical to the artwork used for the regular box insert and is glued to the back. The model itself is similar to the production issue. It was used for presentation at various toy fairs. Ex Nils Fischer Collection.

Show model of Britains Fiat 880 DT Halftrack (Brown).

Item number: 9527.

Date of production: 1982.

post-2305-0-38107600-1391352526_thumb.jp

post-2305-0-85273600-1391352535_thumb.jp

post-2305-0-82955300-1391352547_thumb.jp

post-2305-0-85862800-1391352559_thumb.jp

Overview:

The model is a show version of the Fiat 880 DT Halftrack. The background features a painted sky blue background with various stickers (or glued paper) applied. The model itself is similar to the production issue. It was used for presentation at London toy fair in 1982. Unlike the orange version, it comes with a outer carded box. Ex Nils Fischer Collection. 

I bought item K, but not from the Nils Fischer sale, an eBay purchase. the only one I could secure unfortunately for me ::)  It does not have any Britains marking on it at all and the cast white parts are different too the final production model. Also only one wing. I have some pictures of yours (G) from when it was first offered for sale.

IMG_20080302_2320.jpg

@Paul: A very interesting model. I have always had a soft spot for the cultivator – unfortunately for my bank account that applies for most of the Britains range. How does the white cast parts differ from the general release model? I would love to see pictures of the Fiat Halftrack. Do you know where it was sold? 

@Paul: Thank you for the pictures. I was not aware that is was bought by Nils Fischer through Ebay, strangely enough.

The comparison photos of #9550 makes the show model even more desirable, though it is sad that it has lost the other wing.

I have a few other more or less unique models that I will photograph and publish sometime around mid-April. Most of them are contemporary pre productions in factory boxes from Shenzhen. 

I wouldn't know whether or not Nils Fischer bought it from eBay originally.

Mid April! you must be a busy boy  ;) ...................looking forward to that.

I have a couple of Sample Copy marked items, ones a Police Helicopter and the other a unimog Set from the Road Series. I think I have a third but cannot remember what  ::)

I managed to track down the other pictures of your half track and also of two more plinth mounted pre production models/toys, also taken from eBay at the same time. Neither are mine unfortunately.

fiathalftrack4.jpg

fiathalftrack3.jpg

9555 animal trailer 1982

animaltrailer2.jpg

animaltrailer3.jpg

animaltrailer1.jpg

9572 MF 200 Trailer also new in 1982. Looking at the catalogue the preproduction model has a red painted tailgate along with an MF only decal and a 760 decal as used on the MF Combine!

MF200trailer2.jpg

MF200trailer1.jpg

MF200trailer3.jpg

For some strange reason both boxes are marked as L although they are also marked with their respective item  ::)

@Paul: Thank you for the pictures. The Fiat Halftrack seems to have suffered slight damage to the grass mot between 2008 and the auction in the spring of 2011. It is interesting with the use of the letter "L" for both trailers.

The more of these models I become acquainted with, the clearer it seems that they can be separated into at least three distinct waves, each with easy recognizable features that are somewhat in line with the different generations of boxes. Though they all share obvious similarities in terms of being mounted on a wooden plinth covered with a grass mat and, for the most part, having a thin wall nailed to the back of the plinth, the models issued between the mid 1970’s and 1980 use artwork similar to that found on the boxes.

post-2305-0-86813300-1392792346_thumb.jp

Show version of Deutz DX 110 on a plinth using box artwork from the straw box illustrating the Bavarian Alps. 

When the rainbow box was introduced in 1980, Britains seems to switch to the sky blue background with “New†stickers applied to the back of the plinth. It can be argued that a similar colour was used for the inner tray for some models of this period, for instance the Fiat 880 DT Halftrack, but it must be generally recognized that the sky blue background marked a break with using artwork from the boxes in the same manner as with the straw boxes. These models all seem to come with a carded box containing a letter.

post-2305-0-89768700-1392792457_thumb.jp

Show version of trailer with sky blue background. Early rainbow box.

From 1984, when the late rainbow box was introduced, to the last show models from around 1987/1988, they seem to be going back to using the artwork found on the boxes. This applies for models from the Autoway, Powerfarm and Road series as well. I am not aware if these models came in a carded box as well.

post-2305-0-10333600-1392792538_thumb.jp

Show version of Autoway Deutz DX 92 with artwork from Autoway version of the late rainbow boxes. 

Do you know of any similar show models made with the casting from the banded box era? 

There was the New Holland combine, from the same eBay sale, on a Dutch website I think, but cannot find at present  :-[ I was going to bid on this but two people got into a biding war  ::)

I haven't seen the Deutz or Autoway mounted ones before, yours? Very nice too.

@Paul: No, I am afraid none of the models above are mine. The New Holland combine can be found at www.britainstoys.nl alongside a few other very interesting models.

Even though we are about to embark on a path that has little to do with the original subject of this thread, I would like to take the chance to talk about concept artwork used in the development process at Blackhorse Lane as well as unreleased prototypes.

About 10 years ago I heard the first rumors indicating that Britains in the late 1980’s or early 1990’s was developing a Case IH that never saw general release. At the time I was barely aware of all models being made by Britains, so I did not put many thoughts into it, however, a few years ago I found a description of Britains concepts at Christies.com, sadly without pictures, stating that artwork for a Case IH had in fact been made, http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/britains-farm-artwork-concept-boards-for-4813173-details.aspx?pos=3&intObjectID=4813173&sid=&page=29 (Lot Description, line 2).

When corresponding with Warner Hall, I brought up the Case model in order to learn more about it, but, as you can see below, he categorical refused Britains had plans for such a model. My question is shown in italic.

In regard to the unreleased and planned/proposed models I have come to discover, that Britains was toying with the idea of a Case IH (please see http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/britains-farm-artwork-concept-boards-for-4813173-details.aspx?pos=3&intObjectID=4813173&sid=&page=29. Do you happen to know which model they had in mind, was it developed into a prototype (if so, does this still exist?) and why were the plans dropped? Looking at the front of the 1992 catalogue there are sketch drawings for the Ford 8730 and what could be the Case IH 5150 Maxxum, though the latter does not seem to be based on any known Britains skid of the time. Was this the model in question?

- Never at that time as Britains could not get approval to make models of John Deere or Case/IH because Ertl in the USA held the global licences.

Do you know who bought the artwork? Could Christie's be mistaking the Massey Ferguson 698 for a Case IH? 

I like where this is going Christian, so don't worry. You can't hijack your own thread can you?

Yes that was it britainstoys.nl, now a saved search  :)

I've been looking at the Nils Fischer auction as there was some conceptual artwork in that but not of a Case Tractor, I did find another tractor though  ;)

I don't know anything about the Christies artwork but with regard the artwork on the 1992 catalogue it looks like the tractor below. It is used twice on the '92 catalogue albeit with some elements removed from the lower image, notably the nose cone and weights. I'm viewing a trade catalogue so a larger picture.

http://www.tractorpool.co.uk/media/0523/1240523/608518/Case-IH-5150-PRO-Allrad-608518.jpg?height=600&width=800&quality=80

Image taken from a Google search of Case IH 5150 atributed to elk2.com

@Paul: I guess that is so :) By finding another tractor, do you mean the Case 5150?

The question remains whether the model from the artwork sold at Christie’s and the, supposedly, 5150 at the cover of the 1992 catalogue are one and the same. Even though both this post and my previous one are pure speculation with a few educated guesses added to it, I would argue that we are in fact dealing with two different Case IH models. This postulate is solely based on the fact that the rest of the artwork in the Christie’s lot, such as #9530, are all from the first half of the 1980’s, which would make the Case 5150 unlikely to appear among them, as the real tractor was not introduced before around 1991.

In regard to the artwork sold at Christie’s, it would seem plausible that the proposed model, if it exists, was among those produced at the David Brown factory at Meltham. Again, if it never made it past the drawing board it could perhaps explain why Warner Hall is unaware of the plans, though that seems a bit unlikely as well.

If we go back to the 1992 catalogue and examine the Case tractor more closely, we find that it does look more like the real tractor than the interpretation Britains could be expected to make in 1/32 scale at the time. As noted earlier, Britains used little more than a handful of different skids, or bases, for the different tractors at the time. Every new tractor was developed to fit onto one of these skids, that every now and then lead to a result that was not entirely true to the tractor they tried to replicate. This, unlike with the Ford 8730 next to it, cannot easily be detected analyzing the front cover, though it could be based on a modified Volvo BM Valmet 805 or TW20 skid. In addition, the tractor is fitted with side mirrors to the cab, which was not featured on any Britains tractor before the introduction of the Massey Ferguson 6290 in 2002 as well as a windshield wiper.    

These facts all point in the direction that the Case is a more or less haphazardly placed sketch drawing that is not linked to Britains product development. It is strange, though, that it takes up such a prominently spot on the front of the catalogue alongside the Ford 8730, Twose digger and trailer, as all of those were released . . .

post-2305-0-16741300-1392963646_thumb.jp

Front cover of the 1992 catalogue. Note the Ford 8730 to the left, Twose digger below and trailer in the top right corner. All models were mass produced. Copyright of http://www.britains-toy-soldiers.com

If any of you have informations regarding this subject, I would be very interested in learning more. 

Oh, I see :) Yes, it is. The auction was in many ways a flawed affair in regard to the lot descriptions. Several of the Autoway models, including the Volvo BM Valmet, were placed in the wrong category, as they were in fact samples rather than generic models, and that was not highlighted or even mentioned. There was also a Hausser model described as a Britains pre production. Even though it was one of the all time most profitable auctions from that auction house, I cannot help feeling that some of the lots were vastly underpriced, though there are also a few examples of the opposite.    

Perhaps it would have been better for Nils if he had sold his collection in 10 parts instead of 3. 

To move on with the discussion of product development, I have come across a few short interviews with former employees at the various factories you might find interesting, though some of them are merely anecdotes concerning the character of the work. Especially the first interview with Peter Cole reveals interesting details of the development process.

http://www.inquitaudio.co.uk/wfohw/vhmoh-636-peter-cole-t1x1.mp3

http://www.inquitaudio.co.uk/wfohw/vhmoh-6xx-bill-regan-t2x1.mp3

http://www.inquitaudio.co.uk/wfohw/vhmoh-6xx-bill-regan-t2x2.mp3

http://www.inquitaudio.co.uk/wfohw/vhmoh-351-eileen-witham.mp3

http://www.inquitaudio.co.uk/wfohw/vhmoh-354-sue-russell-s1x1.mp3

http://www.inquitaudio.co.uk/wfohw/vhmoh-354-sue-russell-s2x1.mp3

http://www.inquitaudio.co.uk/wfohw/vhmoh-639-jean-ralston-t1x1.mp3

Archived