2001 mitsubishi shogun swb did faults ?

Looking at this

http://www.usedcarsni.com/2001-Mitsubishi-Shogun-3-2-DI-D-EQUIPPE-SWB-WARRIOR-WHEELS-126280514

What are peoples thoughts any good or stay away from it I wont be doing big miles biggest run it will have is a run up to Aberdeen and I live in Northern Ireland after that just back and forward to work which is 2miles away.

The main problem I know of with them is noisy diff's, one of the Salesmen who call on the farm I work on has one and has suffered from the problem. No idea on any other faults with them. That one does seem to have done a lot of miles though for the money they are asking for it.

Japanese reliability . Can't really go wrong !!!! Mitsubishi are good, but outa all the Jap brands, I'd say Toyota and Mazda are that bit more reliable. Just speaking on past experience with what I've had. Most Jap car brands have went threw my hands. All cars tough . Have had no 4 x4 s . Consider a Landcruiser also. Most will swear by them in Ireland.

We've got an 2003 3.2 DiD Shogun, and they are great cars. But, they do have a few weak spots.

• Engine mounts go soft. Arm and leg from Mitsi...
  • Check for rot underneath.
  • Dual Mass Flywheels fail and cost well into four figures to fix - that's why that one has a non standard solid f/w. What effect that has on the transmission is anyone's guess. Probably nothing, but....? :)
  • Diesel pumps die. £1,700 in parts or so I'm told. The problem starts with the fuel pipes from the filler to the tank. They rot, water gets in, corrodes the internals of the fuel pump and then the metering head fails. Pull back the plastic cover (which traps the mud/water) in the OSR wheel arch and check the pipes all the way to the tank. If rotten budget to replace - about £90 in parts.
  • Timing chain guides. £11.00 from Mitsi. If they fail, the debris can break the timing chain. Oops.

If mine broken permanently, I'd probably still buy another...

index.5.jpg

I understand that parts can be quite expensive and that's why when they get to a certain age owners tend to pass them on, like a lot of vehicles, things start to wear and need replacing when they get to an age and it's not that economic to keep replacing bits, Japanese utility vehicle parts tend to be more expensive, especially from the main outlets but there are a lot of cheaper places that sell non-genuine.

I forgot about those lovely dual mass flywheels........unlike Land Rover ones you can only buy Mitsi ones as a genuine Mitsi item, luckily the one in my Defender was ok when they just changed the gearbox but to replace it with an OEM Valeo one would be under £300. One of the engineers at our local JD dealers has had a solid flywheel fitted to his Shogun, he's said the only difference he can notice is more vibration when accelerating at certain speeds in certain gears.

Archived