Brochure Collection Storage

Good Morning Jk

This is a Topic i would love to discuss with you as its dear to my heart, being a avid Brochure man with some 80,000 to look after.

But i am just of to Sima in France to get some more plus the odd model or two Thats Tractor models ofcourse not the female type well thats 

what i told the good lady. I must introduce myself on the FTF sometime having been on here now a month or so although i do know people

like Smithy and Martyn . Be intouch when i'm back regards Graham (  Goody  )

80.000? :of And there's people saying I am daft with me +/- 15.000 pieces collection.

When I moved houses about two years ago now I decided to build a cubbard myself especially for brochures. It is five metres wide and 150 cm high. Much cheaper building something yourself and buy in the wood than getting something from the store (which also doesn't have the correct measurements). I had never done anything like it but since my grandfather was a carpenter I thought I might have some of his blood left in my veins. Well I didn't but I got there eventually! Have also bought two cheap cubbards for more brochures but the wood is thinner so they bend.

All of mine are stored in arch lever files with plastic carriers. However, through time they slightly bend and the bottom right corner of the brochure will slightly curl up sadly. This also depends on the stiffness of the plastic. It is difficult getting the correct ones for US letter sized brochures and other odd sizes. My biggest problem! The system is no where near perfect but I don't really know of anything better. I have stored everything on alphabetic order but not (yet) by make so searching something can take a while!

Well I can't say I am even near the amounts of brochures mentioned here, but I do have some treasured ones.  At the moment I have them stored in a filing cabinet.  My main worry would be fire and water damage.  Many of them are stored in plastic pockets but I have been looking at placing them in sealed pouches.  Some years back I heard that air needs to circulate and therefore placing them in sealed pouches may not be a good idea.  I have scanned some but it takes a lot of time and effort.  

neils, would using a sheet of card in the plastic pouch  stop the curling?? I am guessing its down to the weight making them not hang level in the folder hence sitting on that corner, wouldn't need much more than say a sheet of a old breakfast cereals box or similar, just to stiffen it up

Hi Niels & Jk 

Collecting Brochures over the years i have come across the problem of storing Brochures of all shapes and sizes.However i find it pays

not to scrimp on quality when it comes to Filing cabinets, Clear pockets, & Lever arch folders.

I use Staples acid free 75 pq clear folders for normal size

brochures and Tiger brand Extra capacity clear punched pockets as listed on Ebay for American size & style brochures which i find are superb for the bigger brochures

My own brochures are kept in 14 x 3 drawer filing cabinets in a heated environment and the older more special ones in good lever arch folders in the indoor office  

I am  finding more often these days Tractor & Machinery suppliers are asking collectors and Dealers to down load web copies which i find are crap, which makes keeping treasured brochures safe & sound all the more important

When i get time i will upload some pictures of my collection. 

@Sean: It certainly would make a difference yes if you can fit them in (with the thicker ones that Claas print you wouldn't be able to squeeze in cardboard). It is indeed a weight issue. However, given my number of brochures I have a lot more cereal boxes to go through! Will also make the files thicker so can fit less brochures in and can't check back pages. But it is certainly something to give thought.

@Graham: Thank you naming a few brands. Are these the correct ones: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-A4-Extra-Capacity-Punched-Pockets-Strong-Plastic-Clear-File-Document-Wallet-/200786149391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ebfc9800f? I have A5 and A3 Tiger pockets which have been very good. Much stiffer than the other ones I use.

With a drawer filling cabinet do you mean the brochures are kept hanging horizontally rather than vertically?

would be a idea for the rarer ones neils, but yes I see your point in terms of thickness overall, that said just a sheet of thin card would be enough, you can get reems of that , its prob half the thickness of a cereal box, but would help you in all honestly you  only need a strip say 10 cm high buy pouch width  thick to sit in the bottom of the pouch, to act as a foot so to speak , will stop corner damage

Good Morning Jk

This is a Topic i would love to discuss with you as its dear to my heart, being a avid Brochure man with some 80,000 to look after.

But i am just of to Sima in France to get some more plus the odd model or two Thats Tractor models ofcourse not the female type well thats 

what i told the good lady. I must introduce myself on the FTF sometime having been on here now a month or so although i do know people

like Smithy and Martyn . Be intouch when i'm back regards Graham (  Goody  )

wow 80'000 that is one hell of a number. wonder what that collection weighs.......

I store mine in file cabinets in hanging folders. they are sorted according to Make, Model and age and country of origin. But I have a number that dont have room in my cabinets so they just sitt on a big pile

I have come to the conclusion that I should only collect whats dearest to me. that would be Fendt, Ford and a few other tractor makes as well as Harvesting equipment like Beet harvesters, combines, choppers, potato harvesters, cotton harvesters and other machinery that really impressed me.

would be a idea for the rarer ones neils, but yes I see your point in terms of thickness overall, that said just a sheet of thin card would be enough, you can get reems of that , its prob half the thickness of a cereal box, but would help you in all honestly you  only need a strip say 10 cm high buy pouch width  thick to sit in the bottom of the pouch, to act as a foot so to speak , will stop corner damage

I see what you mean Sean. I have some thin plastic card might give it a go. As you say it would be a solution for my most dearest items. Or I try some stiffer pockets and see if they bend less so.

Morning Niels

Yes those are the Tiger pockets i use they are wider and will even take something like a the claas product guides which consist of many pages,

as for filing cabinets my brochures are all kept in green or red horizontal folders. I do find with my most cherished brochures they store better in lever arch

files but it helps if they can be kept tight together.

Hi Marcus i can tell you having carried lots of brochures around at different shows like a pack mule they are bxxxxx heavy hate to think what they would all weigh.

I'm a Sales Manager for a Tractor company selling Case IH for 30 years come this may and selling Ford before that so my collection consist of all types & makes of tractors plus many machinery brand brochures. Dear to my heart are David Brown, Case ih, Steiger, IH, Axial flow, also don't know why Belarus & Zetor 

Well I have not read all the replies in here yet but certainly the information is quite useful. Would it be safe to store brochures in sealed bags?  I have been advised that air neeeds to circulate around the paper.  Just wondering what collectors views on this idea are. 

Archived