Britains DDN Super Major Spade wheel Restoration

autoway

Hi Dan - I haven't taken any photos so far - I have an image of what it looked like and I can take a few more before I progress. I'm not on Photobucket but have an account with Flickr - do you know if I can post Flickr images? 

My Project so far (Britains Power Major or Diesel Major no 172F)  - was heavily over painted, with some paint on the tyres.

I've (a) used paint stripper to remove all the paint    (B)  I used 4 Stanley blades and a small flat head screwdriver to split open the body

Unfortunately the back rivet and the seat rivet broke - so I've had to make a new seat post, and made the back rivet a grub screw fixing.  

The front axle was fitted with a screw so I've made a new pin for that. I've still to fix back hitch replacement which just arrived yesterday - still waiting for some suitable glue (J B Weld)   

Sounds like a good project so far David. you can upload on hear without photo bucket but I not sure about Flickr there is a post on the forum about up loading photos it would be best to look there as I am no computer wiz my wife helps me a lot.

I'm enjoying this topic. I love the old Britains DDN's as some of you will know. Its nice to see them getting a new lease of life too. Personally I leave mine as they are, however bad . I just fit used parts where I can to keep them looking old but I am looking forward to seeing Dan finish this one. Lets see a few more old ones restored.

Speaking of 'leave as is or restore', it is of course a personal decision and one that always raises debate. Personally I see no problem in restoring as the item having been restored still largely remains the original item, even if new replacement parts and paint/decals have been applied, people would not have an issue with restoring the real item if found in the same condition otherwise there would be no preservation carried out and it would just sit and rot in the field, it's the same with our childhood heritage, it needs saving and if restoration is the only way something can be saved then it must be done.

Archived