What really annoyed you today

You got it Ben, or Bin if your joining us from Sard Afreega. :D :D :D

I'd like to see every unread topic, all of the time. No All Unread Topics tab, no confusion. :)

Jobs going great Bill :) Thanks. :)

New job tris, congrats, what have i missed ? So have you packed up your bussness? :) :)

stubbed my toe when i got home earlier, big chunk of nail missing now along with lots of blood and a very painfull throb from it to, all from her lap top case of all things

you seam to be getting very clumsey sean (old age) pre wedding nerves

10 drops to do in Taunton yesterday afternoon and the van arriving and hour and a half late from the morning shift. Got stuck in traffic cos of the Flower Show and arrived back at base still running and hour and half late and had to bring two loads back with me... will they ever get organised >:(

couldn't you have put your foot down abit to get all your drops done Mandy? ;D (only joking) I couldn't do a set route, thats why I like my job as I dont know where I'm going from one hour to the next, more fun like that ;D

I don't think I'm gonna do it much longer. I love my job, but am really hacked off with the company I work for and the fact that they don't give a sh*t about their staff. There's not even time for a break scheduled into our shifts - and that's illegal and the vans would all fail an MOT test >:(

I don't think I'm gonna do it much longer. I love my job, but am really hacked off with the company I work for and the fact that they don't give a sh*t about their staff. There's not even time for a break scheduled into our shifts - and that's illegal and the vans would all fail an MOT test >:(

How about a letter to VOSA and ACAS then.

As above Mandy, there not gonna care if you get stopped and have points on your licence, they are just interested in profit!, jobs not worth that!, what would happen if you hit someone or something and the Police looked over the van, found out it wasnt road worthy?, you would probably be the one worse off

I also think you are entitled to a break of 15mins every 4 hours????.....thats what i remember from years ago :D....if your driving it must be different as its more tiring :-\ :-\, is that right Mark??

oh dear Mandy you should take a break, I normanly stop about midday for my break no matter what, and if the vans not roadworthy then refuse to drive it as your libel if you've took an unsafe viechile on the road with you knowing about it.

I'm not too sure about smaller commercial vehicles and breaks, but you must fall under the "Working 

Time Directive" regulations where you are required to have a break of at least half an hour after you've worked six hours, and are required to have a break of forty five minutes if you work more than nine hours.

You are also now not allowed to average more than forty eight hours a week total working time under the W.T.D. The rules are fairly complex and relate to most workers now as I understand it, so you must have breaks during the day.

Our tanker drivers work for up to six hours and then have a 45 minute break regardless of how busy we are as they would be breaking the law if they didn't.

Also on bigger trucks; you have to have a forty five minute break if your driving total for the day exceeds four and a half hours. If they total four and a half hours during the second period; then they must have another forty five minutes break. Rules..........  :)

dont know the exact law Ben but I normanly have 15 minutes in the morning, 30 minutes for dinner and another 15 minutes in the afternoon, but there again it could be longer breaks if theres nothing happening ;D

I normally have a fifteen minute break followed by a thirty minute one before the six hours are up. It is illegal to do it the other way round. You can't have a thirty minute break followed by a fifteen minute break. The safest way is to have a forty five minute break in one hit and then you can normally drive for the rest of the day without more breaks; again unless your driving time total is going to exceed the four and a half hours in the second period.

V.O.S.A. say the rules are simple to comply with.........oh yeah. On paper maybe?  :)

INDEED MANDY ALWAYS TAKE A BREAK WHEN YOU CAN ESPECIALLY LUNCH AT THE LEAST, AS MENTIONED IF THE VANS DODGY DONT TAKE IT OUT, YOU AS THE DRIVER ARE FULLY RESPONSIBLE NOT ASDA, THEY DONT GIVE A TO55 ABOUT IT, MAYBE A LETTER TO VOSA WOULD HELP, SEE A FEW GET PICKED UP ,THEY WILL GO AFTER ASDA THEN IF THEY KNOW THERES A PROBLEM WITH THEM

Scheduled breaks are nothing but a pain in the a$$. As a lorry driver you can be an hour from home and require a 45min break by law, resulting in getting back later and having a shorter rest period before your next shift. Other times, you can be driving one eyed needing a break but being pushed on time. It's bloody daft. Like many things I believe it should be down to you and society. Do as you wish without harming others accidently or otherwise. If you do, instant ban, fine or sentance depending on offence caused. Teach people how to behave by offering a strict and heavy alternative. Don't Nanny or be Nannied!

my morning/afternoon breaks are not officails ones but if I'm not busy it dont matter and been adviced to have them, my lunch break I still get paided for ;D

I normally have a fifteen minute break followed by a thirty minute one before the six hours are up. It is illegal to do it the other way round. You can't have a thirty minute break followed by a fifteen minute break. The safest way is to have a forty five minute break in one hit and then you can normally drive for the rest of the day without more breaks; again unless your driving time total is going to exceed the four and a half hours in the second period.

V.O.S.A. say the rules are simple to comply with.........oh yeah. On paper maybe?  :)

Scheduled breaks are nothing but a pain in the a$$. As a lorry driver you can be an hour from home and require a 45min break by law, resulting in getting back later and having a shorter rest period before your next shift. Other times, you can be driving one eyed needing a break but being pushed on time. It's bloody daft. Like many things I believe it should be down to you and society. Do as you wish without harming others accidently or otherwise. If you do, instant ban, fine or sentance depending on offence caused. Teach people how to behave by offering a strict and heavy alternative. Don't Nanny or be Nannied!

Alot of harm has been done with all the current regulations. We are at considerable risk of prosecution if the rules are misinterpreted; and although I've never used a digital tacho, I would imagine it would be even easier to fall foul of the law with them as your details can be analyzed much easier than the old disc tachos could.

At least if you make a mistake on the old discs, you can correct it by writing a note on the back.

The regulations as they stand have created a lot of pressure on drivers in general, ie trying to get the job done as fast as possible, getting caught in traffic jams is very stressful if you've allowed time to get to a safe place for a rest, only to get stuck on a motorway or somewhere you can't stop. How many drivers have pushed the limits so they can start at a specific time the next day, bearing in mind that you are now only allowed three reduced breaks in any two weeks, and have to have a total of ninety hours break in any two weeks or pay it back with an increased break by the end of the third week. It really is a sod to keep track of all the breaks, times, lengths, weeks etc especially as it is calculated over a rolling period. I have a brain to do my job with, and it doesn't have the abilities of a computer.  >:(???

INDEED MANDY ALWAYS TAKE A BREAK WHEN YOU CAN ESPECIALLY LUNCH AT THE LEAST, AS MENTIONED IF THE VANS DODGY DONT TAKE IT OUT, YOU AS THE DRIVER ARE FULLY RESPONSIBLE NOT ASDA, THEY DONT GIVE A TO55 ABOUT IT, MAYBE A LETTER TO VOSA WOULD HELP, SEE A FEW GET PICKED UP ,THEY WILL GO AFTER ASDA THEN IF THEY KNOW THERES A PROBLEM WITH THEM

I took a break today - Macs drive-in, eaten at the traffic lights through Bridgwater ::)

I've called VOSA - they only deal with LGVs/HGVs. And I have reported them to the local police, which was VOSA's suggestion, but nothing has happened. I'm running out of ideas really - this company carries so much weight they seem to be able to treat their employees however they like. I am going to tackle the breaks tommorow though via ACAS - because what they do is illegal. I don't really give a stuff anymore and am going to look for another job. But I'm determind to do my utmost to make them treat their drivers better.

I'm not too sure about smaller commercial vehicles and breaks, but you must fall under the "Working   

Time Directive" regulations where you are required to have a break of at least half an hour after you've worked six hours, and are required to have a break of forty five minutes if you work more than nine hours.

You are also now not allowed to average more than forty eight hours a week total working time under the W.T.D. The rules are fairly complex and relate to most workers now as I understand it, so you must have breaks during the day.

Our tanker drivers work for up to six hours and then have a 45 minute break regardless of how busy we are as they would be breaking the law if they didn't.

Also on bigger trucks; you have to have a forty five minute break if your driving total for the day exceeds four and a half hours. If they total four and a half hours during the second period; then they must have another forty five minutes break. Rules..........  :)

It's an interesting one really - legally employees are not allowed to work more than 6 hours without a 20 minute break. But with the company I work for (mentioning their name on here is a sackable offence btw ::)) the am delivery slots finish at 1.00pm and start at 2pm - so that's give you half an hour to travel back from your last drop, then barely enough time to load up for your next and then get out again - so there's actually no time at all built in for a lunch break. :-\

I suspect the company gets around it legally, by stating that 'every employee must have half an hour break'  as part of their official line,  taking it off your 'official timesheet' even if you haven't had a break (ie docking your pay), and they can then blame the employee and claim 'well we told them that they should take a break'. They might have a hard time proving that they intend the drivers to have a break though, as the delivery slots are too close together to allow for one - I'll check with ACAS tomorrow.

no company carrys that much weight mandy, our lot are being watched for weights at present, few found over the 3.5 ton limit, vosa hits us all over the country, shouldnt really be eating lunch while at lights either, lunch is a 30 or so mins actuall pulled over break, you would get that if you worked in store all day, so no different to in the van

look under the hse web site hun there might be some info there ????????????????????????????????

ps take a break tiredness can kill , says so on the side of the motorways

Thanks for your support guys. Trouble is when you know that your colleague is going out an hour and half late because you're not back it's very difficult. I ended up going out with one of the girls on Friday night because if I hadn't she wouldn't have got back until late at night.

I will tackle this though because I'm horrified at the working practices and way this company treats it's staff. So any info on official bodies I can contact would be most welcome.

ment to say mandy, the vosa will deal with small vans like you drive, they are exactly the same as what i drive near as, and they are pulling our transist in all over, dont be fobbed of will you,just dont get caught driving the van when its pulled as its yours and only your responsibillity if you leave the yard with a defective van, you get the points and the fine, and prob the psuh from the job to