ERTL John Deere Precision 544J

AndyB

A recent departure from farm models was the purchase of a precision 544J.  Not knowing a huge amount about them, I did however know they don't come up all that often.  Only 3 were made in the series and they were so expensive at the time, not many were sold - hence I guess the high values now.  So I couldn't resist!  I unpacked it today - and what a model!!  It tips the scales at just under 4Kg and there aint much plastic on it!  Even the door frames are die cast, as are all the opening panels etc.  Considering what we have to pay for some 1/16th models nowadays, I got it for a steel!

IMG_6380.JPG

Fantastic model Andy! I’ve been looking for one of these too for a while.

I have the other two in the series, a Case backhoe and a Deere dozer, can throw some pics up when I get time.

6 hours ago, GPS said:

Fantastic model Andy! I’ve been looking for one of these too for a while.

I have the other two in the series, a Case backhoe and a Deere dozer, can throw some pics up when I get time.

It certainly is Gavin, they don't make them like this anymore!  Yes please put some photos up if you have time.  Since I bought this I have looked at the prices/availability for both the Deere dozers and the Case backhoes and my eyes watered!

As promised, a couple of pics the precision case backhoe. I believe there were a several variants produced over time.... this the standard one, but also a 40th anniversary version with chrome buckets and a 50th anniversary version in black. I didn't pick one up when they were commonly available, much to my mistake, but I did manage to get this one a year or two ago at a sensible price,not a steal, but no where near the prices being asked for today!

This model has quite a lot of meaning to me, it was the first machine we introduced our new generation engine cooling module onto, the first project I worked on when I started with my current company... back in 1994! The cooling pack is nicely, and reasonably accurately, depicted in the model version, so I had to find one. I spent a lot of time at the Burlington, Iowa plant at that time and we still supply that module today, to the USA, Italy and Brasil.

Funnily enough, I also worked on the 544J wheel loader, but in that case we only made one component, not the full system.

Need to take some pictures of the Dozer later, can't seem to find any to hand.

Ertl Precision Case 580 BHL.JPG

Ertl Precision Case 580 BHL 2.JPG

Ertl Precision Case 580 BHL 5.JPG

Ertl Precision Case 580 BHL 3.JPG

Ertl Precision Case 580 BHL 4.JPG

Thanks Gavin.  They really are the mutts nuts in my humble.  The pictures only tell half the story, as when you look at them you keep noticing extra things!  Also remembering that these were made back when the ability to make detailed elements wasn't so common and cost effective.

Archived