International Harvester / McCormick Baler 1960ish

catkom3

I'm wondering if any of the IH McCormick guy's can help shed light on this,When I was 10 / 11,  1964 or 1965,My late father used to drag a big IH or McCormick baler around useing a B250 or maybe a B275,It was I powered by either a single cylinder or twin air cooled engine,I have Googled this a fair few times and all I can find is a No 50,That might have been the right one but that is fitted with a four cylinder petrol I guess engine,Maybe the air cooled engine was UK spec,That engine had some power as I recall the whole tractor baler combo rocked back and forth as the plunger went back and forth so much so the whole rig started sinking into the soil,??

Regards

Joe,

I H baler.jpg

• Like 1

That's the beast Paul thank you,Funnily enough earlier this morning Armstrong Siddeley  came to mind,And sure enough that is what is fitted to that baler,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S6sNcfeNug

Must have been very awkward starting that,HSE would just love to catch you climbing up on the reel and cranking that by hand,You can also see on that video it is moving back and forth on the drawbar,

Regards

Joe.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/28/2020 at 11:13 AM, catkom3 said:

I'm wondering if any of the IH McCormick guy's can help shed light on this,When I was 10 / 11,  1964 or 1965,My late father used to drag a big IH or McCormick baler around useing a B250 or maybe a B275,It was I powered by either a single cylinder or twin air cooled engine,I have Googled this a fair few times and all I can find is a No 50,That might have been the right one but that is fitted with a four cylinder petrol I guess engine,Maybe the air cooled engine was UK spec,That engine had some power as I recall the whole tractor baler combo rocked back and forth as the plunger went back and forth so much so the whole rig started sinking into the soil,??

Regards

Joe,

I H baler.jpg

I don’t quite understand what you’re asking but most of them here in the USA were powered buy Farmall Cub engines 

Edited by JD1968

7 minutes ago, JD1968 said:

I don’t quite understand what you’re asking but most of them here in the USA were powered buy Farmall Cub engines 

Cheers Lee, the baler I was looking for is the one featured in Paul's video,

Regards

Joe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, catkom3 said:

Cheers Lee, the baler I was looking for is the one featured in Paul's video,

Regards

Joe.

Ok Joe  now I understand those were cool Balers. My wife’s cousin had a Ford Baler with a old Milwaukee Engine on it it was a nightmare 

• Like 1