Replacing the steering gear of a Britains Ford 5000

Hielke

Question

Can anyone tell me how to replace a broken steering gear of a early type Britains Ford 5000? Preferably without splitting the tractor in half.

image.jpg

Edited by Hielke
Spelling correction

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Hielke said:

Can anyone tell me how to replace a broken steering gear of a early type Britains Ford 5000? Preferably without splitting the tractor in half.

image.jpg

you can get replacement steering wheels, but you'll need to file the old shaft flat and then you can sit the new one on and then drill, pin and glue the new one 

Interesting one  have given this some though as i have about 20  5000 6600 with no steering wheels or small arm that connects the steering link. Though about it but not actually done as not sure how to hold the tractor at the right angle. Cut the old steering wheel centre ,file flat .Drill 1mm 2mm  into  shaft  glue pin [gives a centre to wheel ] brass or piano wire. Ditto for the steering link that will have to be fashioned brass rod / sheet . Be great if some one  out there has done it and has a better idea. cheers jim.

you used to be able to get white metal replacements, which had a hole in the back for a shaft, so you cut the remains of the old one off, drilled out a 1-2 mm hole,and glued the new one back on, lot stronger than just placing it on top of the shaft then,but for the life of me i can not remember who did them, dave twose springs to a distant memory, but i can not be sure, may have one out in the shed still 

Thanks every one. 
I found a special metal glue. They claim to be able to glue a hole in an engine (and keep it running after glueing). So might give that a try. 
or choose the simple option of splitting the tractor for a full replacement.