MF 30 Seed Drills

nashmach

Any body know what to look out for when buying one of these?

We are hoping some might turn up locally at auctions soon and be bought cheaply as it would be out of season. Would really prefer an 8.5 ft one with 12m tramlines, Suffolk coulters and after harrow but a 3m at the right money would do.

Hoping to get one of our own for next year as one passing is too dear considering we have all the other cultivation machinery except the drill and no one near us has a decent drill or can operate it properly.  :D :D

All information welcome.  ;)

Thanks  ;) ;) 8)

Any body know what to look out for when buying one of these?

We are hoping some might turn up locally at auctions soon and be bought cheaply as it would be out of season. Would really prefer an 8.5 ft one with 12m tramlines, Suffolk coulters and after harrow but a 3m at the right money would do.

Hoping to get one of our own for next year as one passing is too dear considering we have all the other cultivation machinery except the drill and no one near us has a decent drill or can operate it properly.  :D :D

All information welcome.  ;)

Thanks  ;) ;) 8)

Watch for play in the coulter arms... it's costly and VERY time consuming to grind off and replace the pins and castings... rotten tubes (they get old and split)... rot in the corners of the hoppers as well - they are not very thick.  Your main thing to look for is the coulter arms (and discs obviously) (oh and the scrapers)... best of luck - there was one at Cheffins last time I was up there

Thanks for that Marky. I was looking at Spaldings prices and those things you mentioned are pretty dear alright. Pipes are not too bad though. Dad rang up about one there 3 months ago your man was looking ?600 for it but you could easily spend ?400 on it and it was only 13 coulters and we would prefer 15 coulters. I don't know about the rest of it but I don't think it was great.

Thanks for that Marky. I was looking at Spaldings prices and those things you mentioned are pretty dear alright. Pipes are not too bad though. Dad rang up about one there 3 months ago your man was looking ?600 for it but you could easily spend ?400 on it and it was only 13 coulters and we would prefer 15 coulters. I don't know about the rest of it but I don't think it was great.

In my (limited and somewhat dated) experience... most 30's you can buy are knackered in all the places it matters... it's not so much the money.. but the time and effort to replace all the coulter bearings - grinding off and rewelding  :o rather you than me mate  :-\

We'll get one eventually somewhere........

I'd rather a MF 30 than a Fiona/Nordsten any day.

You are quite true in what you say Marky but what's the point in paying someone when you can do it for 1/2 the money yourself and anyway we'd have one of these paid off in a year or two and it would be well minded and wouldn't get a b00lickin in our place  ;)

We'll get one eventually somewhere........

I'd rather a MF 30 than a Fiona/Nordsten any day.

You are quite true in what you say Marky but what's the point in paying someone when you can do it for 1/2 the money yourself and anyway we'd have one of these paid off in a year or two and it would be well minded and wouldn't get a b00lickin in our place  ;)

Very true I guess... and you farmers have plenty of time... when you're not up the pub or down the bank that is  ;):D :D :D

The other thing to check is the fluted rollers and flap that meter the seed - they are vunerable to mice.

I've seen a lot of drills where the mice run up the pipe and chew a hole through the flap and roller so they can nest in the hopper.

hope this helps :)

The other thing to check is the fluted rollers and flap that meter the seed - they are vunerable to mice.

I've seen a lot of drills where the mice run up the pipe and chew a hole through the flap and roller so they can nest in the hopper.

hope this helps :)

I can vouch for that, we had rats get into our 4m Sulky box drill over winter, they've eaten every single seed roller out of the drill  :o :o >:(