Becarful moving house!!

Goodhead

I would like to share you all something terrible that heppned to me a few years ago.

I still live with my parents and we were moving house. I had boxed up all my treasured farm toys into a big boxes ready for transit. If i remember correctly there were 2 big boxes and a small one.

The moving was left to my dad to do. I thought its all in boxes no Prob!

Once we settled in to new home i decided to hunt for my britains farm toys. I only found one big box.? I questioned my father on the missing 2 boxes.? His reply shocked me.?

He'd been through my boxes of britains toys and thrown away any that were a bit tatty or brocken.

The small box was full of scrap which i used for repairs. All went.

So much anger.? I had to think exactly what he had thown away. 1 county 1884, flat bed trailer, a few tractors, a box of scrap.? One of them yellow fold up rollers. a couple of ploughs, my cattle lorry and many more i cant remember.? ?

GUARD YOUR BRITAINS WITH YOUR LIFE!!!

i feel for you! i too still live with my parents and have set down strict instructions that absolutely no body touches my britains. my mother once gave a few of my britains to a small child to keep it occupied of course the child damaged them a bit but the abuse that was to follow once i saw her little mistake  >:( was to set the standard for ensuring that no other little children got near my britains ever again

we too are moving house soon so based on what you said i think ill just leaving the moving of the britains to me!

• 4 months later...

When I was about eight I got a Ford 8730 for Christmas. It was my pride and joy :). Unfortunately I had (and still have) a very destructive toddler brother  :(( he's not a toddler any more you understand). Anyway, he always wanted to play with my Britains and I had to keep them in a box in a high up cupboard out of reach. One day when I was at school, someone saw fit to give him free reign over my  tractors :-\, and of course he went for the new shiny one.

Obviously noting that the bonnet could be removed, he proceeded to absolutely mangle the rest of the tractor >:( >:(. To say that he destroyed it would be an understatement :. I mean, there was nothing useful left. Imagine the fright I got when I got back from school, I could have strangled the miserable brat.

In a further ironic twist, two years ago he managed to buy one of the last ones at a show, for his own collection (he's given up the spare parts business). I tried to convince him that he owed it to me but he wasn't having any of it!

Anyway, thats my story of woe, just thought I'd reveive this post

8)

i still live with my mum and dad and they let me use a masssive dindig room we live in a old gorgen farm house  so every thing is big are dining room is a bout the same sezie as the kithen and the living room on a addvige size moden house i keep them all under lock and key no one goes in and i have told my mum that if she thinks of tuching them i will cut up her costmums because thats her hoby rich

• 5 years later...

All my stuff is litterally all over the house on practically every available level surface. My Brothers Daughter is now 8 and 1/2 years old but ever since she was 4 has showed a great interest in it all but surprisingly has never attempted to even touch them and just looks at them. I think this is because that I told her that they were 'very special' and not really for playing with. She loves playing with some of my Britains animals but even then treats them with great respect.

90% of mine are up in the attic..phew got some down stairs .. everyone has been warned not to touch them without me being there.. one day i came home and the wifes freind and son were playing >:(  with some of my special ones (dp 390ts ,bn 7840 imber 5640 etc)  .. that was 5 months ago .. never seen them again after what i said to them... 

I think this is a warning to all collectors and not just those moving house.

A member of our model club died and after a decent interval the chairman went to see her about the model collection he had.  The idea behind the visit was to offer advice on selling the collection (which was reckoned at around £10,000 - that really is ten thousand).

Shock and horror.  The wife, who knew nothing except her husband collected "toys", had taken most of them to the local scouts for their jumble sale and the rest had been put in a skip!

So lads (and lassies) even if you do not discuss your spending on the hobby with your nearest and dearest it really is worth giving  a hint of the value.  Whether you tell them or ensure a list or a note of the value is somewhere for them to find.  Put your insurance valuation with your will or whatever but do not leave it to chance.

I think this is a warning to all collectors and not just those moving house.

A member of our model club died and after a decent interval the chairman went to see her about the model collection he had.  The idea behind the visit was to offer advice on selling the collection (which was reckoned at around £10,000 - that really is ten thousand).

Shock and horror.  The wife, who knew nothing except her husband collected "toys", had taken most of them to the local scouts for their jumble sale and the rest had been put in a skip!

So lads (and lassies) even if you do not discuss your spending on the hobby with your nearest and dearest it really is worth giving  a hint of the value.  Whether you tell them or ensure a list or a note of the value is somewhere for them to find.  Put your insurance valuation with your will or whatever but do not leave it to chance.      good advice that :)

Reminds me of an antique fair about a year ago, where I spotted & bought a Britains lead Ayrshire cow #785 on a general stand for £3.50p (slightly tatty, but well worth it, as mint specimens are unaffordable at about £100).

The lady said, "It's made of lead, so don't let any children play with it. I was worrying about selling it at all."

I assured her that there was no way I would let a child get anywhere near it.

(Didn't tell her about its true value though.  :-X

whenever you move house, make sure your models are very well wrapped up in paper or bubble wrap, line the boxes with bubble wrap and make sure you are in charge of them boxes at all times, i moved house a couple of weeks ago and did that, luckily, the only damages that happened was a beacon broke off my NH T7070, and a beacon also fell off my JD 6820, quickly and simply glued, job done !  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If you wrap your tractors, etc. in bubble wrap, wrap them in acid free tissue first! If left in bubble wrap for a long time, or in a loft with temperature chages, etc. the bubble wrap leaves non-removable impressions on painted surfaces! The acid free tissue is dirt cheap and won't react with your models. I wrap everything in it if not on display. Normal tissue can cause paint to discolour, or even react with plastics.