flat bed trailer

this is my first attempt at scratch building so any constructive criticism would be gratefully received. its made from a combination of plasticard and plastruct and i would like to know what kind of primer and paints i should use on it, if this turns out as i hope i want to make a lowloader or a float so could some of you truckers out there tell me what the real life diameter of the wheels on these kinds of trailers is. i will post some completed pictures once its all painted, and stickered, with a timber floor and hopefully i will be able to source some lights to, but be patient as with my limited spare time this will probably take me ages. if theres any details i have left out on the trailer please let me know as i may add them before i paint it. can you also tell me as i haven't noticed but is the headboard on flatbeds clad with timber aswell as the bed

post-466-132638557773_thumb.jpg

post-466-132638558004_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks very very very nice indeed. One thing i think you may need to raise the edges a tiny bit because at the moment it looks a bit ... i don't know how to say it. But it will look excellent with the timber floor but would look even better if you raised the edges slightly and painted them the same as the rest of the low-loader.

looks good toyboy , most headboards are planked , unless they are kitted out for hauling steel :)

very few trailers have raised edges  so a lip on the undersice would give the depth look unless of course , as we don't have ratchet straps in 1/32 it will keep yer load steady  two britains spud boxes side by side will get you yer width ok  :)

Well just look at that!!!! The mainstay of what you have made so far is as near as spot on as I think anyone could get. I don't believe just 'anyone' could knock this up as well as you have done though Toyboy, she looks excellent. I would try to add individual black grp style spray guards though, only a minor thing but to make a trailer as well as you have, leaving these out would be a shame. Obviously they don't have to be black mind. Unless of course she is based on a euro style Krone trailer where they just have a spray strip along the top of all three wheels between them and the underside of the floor, then a single flap as you have made already. DOC does some nice stick on light clusters in two different sizes, they'd look good on your rear bar. Also SMV triangles with the orange outer edges cut off would give you your triangular reflectors and also, DOC does round and square work lights, a square one either side of the rear bar, on the top would look nice. With a round one for a foglight. I am using small angled plastic glued on with a flat face as the side markers on my drawbar outfit. I second the planked headboard aswell, more commonly seen than not.

Hope that waffle helps, thats all my little ideas fully aired to the general public now!!!!  :o :'( :'( :'(

Cheers Tris your encouragement will spur me on to finish it maybe, one question though, who is Doc, can i contact him on here to buy some of those lights. Think i might go for a black spray strip on the underside of the bed as the trailers that the girlfriends brother works on have those strips. Where did you get those t cabbed Scanias that you posted up a couple of months back Tris i  :oWANT :o them. anyone got any suggestions for the back of the trailer as it looks a bit bare and open

Cheers Tris your encouragement will spur me on to finish it maybe, one question though, who is Doc, can i contact him on here to buy some of those lights. Think i might go for a black spray strip on the underside of the bed as the trailers that the girlfriends brother works on have those strips. Where did you get those t cabbed Scanias that you posted up a couple of months back Tris i  :oWANT :o them. anyone got any suggestions for the back of the trailer as it looks a bit bare and open

doc is more commonly known as F-P or god ,depending on how well you know him  :D :D :D

Toyboy, that looks great from here. Depending on the thickness of the wood deck boards, you might get the edge thickness you want without using the styrene angle. Most of the head boards over here are either sheet metal or steel mesh. But apparently we drive on the wrong side of the road... ::)

And another word for by Deere-est vocabulay list...waffle.

Stan, aka SPN got me them mate. I think Ratholdered has some aswell which he found on QXL.dk - an ebay style auction site.

You must not maybe finish this!!!!

• 4 weeks later...