Which One For You?

Powerstarâ„¢

If you was running a dairy farm at quite high intensity, which telehandler would you reccomend? At college we're currently running a Manitou 731 LSU, we thought it was pretty good, but when the contractors brought in their Claas Targo K60 for a few days we could see what little work rate the Manitou is producing, what would you reccommend? The same contractor also has a New Holland LM410 - Impressive too.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you was running a dairy farm at quite high intensity, which telehandler would you reccomend? At college we're currently running a Manitou 731 LSU, we thought it was pretty good, but when the contractors brought in their Claas Targo K60 for a few days we could see what little work rate the Manitou is producing, what would you reccommend? The same contractor also has a New Holland LM410 - Impressive too.

im not too sure luke i would probably go for a mla 628 manitou but fir the ultimate telesopic a redrock th 500 s

Out of the Manitou and the Claas i'd pick the Claas, from speaking to fitters and local farmers about handlers a few months back those that have the later Targo's speak highly of them, the fitters said they are a good machine but steer clear of the early ones, the Manitou people told a different story, my old bosses cousin won't even use the Manitou dealer for anything anymore because of the sheer amount of trouble the machine has been and the poor service, our engineer when i was there maintained it and he was fed up with having to go out to it so much for so many different problems, sadly his isn't the only one. Most people about here run JCB's now and the odd one or two Merlo's and Claas's.

If you was running a dairy farm at quite high intensity, which telehandler would you reccomend? At college we're currently running a Manitou 731 LSU, we thought it was pretty good, but when the contractors brought in their Claas Targo K60 for a few days we could see what little work rate the Manitou DRIVERS ARE producing, what would you reccommend? The same contractor also has a New Holland LM410 - Impressive too.

That sound closer to the truth Lukey?!!!! :D :D :D

I'd pick JCB, they look after the guys who I know have got them and they're British. I know patriotism get's you knowhere these days. ... but it feels good.  :)

Yeah that fits the bill better Tris  :D :D

Anyone had anything to do with the old Loadalls like the 525 Farm Special Plus's

They're quite cheap reliable machines arn't they?

Great machine Luke, go on forever if you look after them. Good motors, a bit more mechanical than the newer ones so farmer and fitter friendly. Controls arn't the best but bare in mind the newest on you'll find must be ten years old now?

I ask this because we desperately want one on the farm back home, myself and my boss's son are all up for it, but he's stuck in his old ways, saying "We've managed all this time without one alright, why waste unecsassary money" But we need to bring him round to the fact that'll everything will be done so much quicker and more efficient and that they are so handy in summer time for loading bales etc, The old JCB's like that would be in the price range i'd imagine second hand 5-6000 hours ?8k sort of figure. I'm working on it!

Yeah that fits the bill better Tris  :D :D

Anyone had anything to do with the old Loadalls like the 525 Farm Special Plus's

They're quite cheap reliable machines arn't they?

they do have a tendancy to catch fire

i think with modern tractors and front end loaders the right set up is worth looking at as long as you dont want the reach

I ask this because we desperately want one on the farm back home, myself and my boss's son are all up for it, but he's stuck in his old ways, saying "We've managed all this time without one alright, why waste unecsassary money" But we need to bring him round to the fact that'll everything will be done so much quicker and more efficient and that they are so handy in summer time for loading bales etc, The old JCB's like that would be in the price range i'd imagine second hand 5-6000 hours ?8k sort of figure. I'm working on it!

We used to run a 1990 525-67 where I worked before, she would carry 2.5 tons at a push and had a 7m reach. The old thing had done 7500hrs and was still in good working order, the only repairs were general wear and tear like ram seals and brakes, ok so it lacked air con and joystick controls but iI always found it a nice machine to use as long as they are blown out and washed down regularly you won't get a lot of trouble, one thing to look for if it's going to get a lot of prolonged use is one thats had the cooloing system upgrade with a bigger radiator as the standard models will overheat on road runs or during heavy use ;):)

My boss was like that. Not sure if he could justify having one and still needing a tractor for lnikage work and stuff. After I left Ticknells gave him a good deal on an ex-demo Deere 3200 (not the Matbro chassis, the Deere one) and he hasn't looked back. He had a few disputes with the machine/dealer itself but having a telehandler about the place has sped up every operation, no more ramps for loading lorries, less ground covered by stacks due to their increased hieghts, more lifting power for mucking out etc, tree work, shed mainteance. Like many, "Why didn't I buy one sooner?!" I can't say whether he would have another Deere or not but he is glad he at least made the move into the telehandler market anyway. I have used it for a little while over christmas and it's a very pleasant machine to use I must say, I know very little about it though.

Yeah the old JaCuB's did have a tendancey to get a wee bit hot and there have been pic's in Profi and the likes to document it. Like anything though, it could usually have been prevented. As good as teleporters are, they are one of the leat maintained machines on a farm due to their constant need.

We used to run a 1990 525-67 where I worked before, she would carry 2.5 tons at a push and had a 7m reach. The old thing had done 7500hrs and was still in good working order, the only repairs were general wear and tear like ram seals and brakes, ok so it lacked air con and joystick controls but iI always found it a nice machine to use as long as they are blown out and washed down regularly you won't get a lot of trouble, one thing to look for if it's going to get a lot of prolonged use is one thats had the cooloing system upgrade with a bigger radiator as the standard models will overheat on road runs or during heavy use ;):)

Interesting information Gav, all noted, And true from you aswell Tris, on the maintenance side of things, what other Telehandlers with average hours could be around ?8-10k? The old Matbro TS's, seem a good machine? Just getting rough ideas at the moment and getting a bit of knowledge on a few machines, bit of feedback for the boss like.

You can get TS270's as late as Treg I think Luke. Plastic fenders, restyled panels. A smart looking machine and the Matbro's always had a good reputation I believe. Would it matter about pivot or fixed chassis? Because a TR250 with blow the socks off of a lot of machines, or the smaller but rare TR200 if space was at a premium.

I used to use a Matbro TS280, a great machine but for the amount of hub trouble it gave us, it has since burnt out due to an electrical fault. I have to say i'm biased on older telehandlers as my Dad sold Sandersons from 1987 up till his death in 1997. The last range that they had out, the TL6 and TL7 were a very popular machine about here and are now quite affordable, there never seemed to be a lot of warranty trouble with them and unlike the previous models no longer used the unreliable ford engines, if its pivot steer then there was the GX525 which having used i can say was a nice machine. Last TL7 I for sale was a 1997 model with 2500hrs on it and was up for ?9k. TL7 lifting to 7m, TL6 to 6m ;)

You can get TS270's as late as Treg I think Luke. Plastic fenders, restyled panels. A smart looking machine and the Matbro's always had a good reputation I believe. Would it matter about pivot or fixed chassis? Because a TR250 with blow the socks off of a lot of machines, or the smaller but rare TR200 if space was at a premium.

Yeah that was the same styling as the newer JD 3200/3400 machines, TS Hi-Torque models I think they were called. TR250 could be a possibility, doesn't really matter if it's pivot or rigid.

I used to use a Matbro TS280, a great machine but for the amount of hub trouble it gave us, it has since burnt out due to an electrical fault. I have to say i'm biased on older telehandlers as my Dad sold Sandersons from 1987 up till his death in 1997. The last range that they had out, the TL6 and TL7 were a very popular machine about here and are now quite affordable, there never seemed to be a lot of warranty trouble with them and unlike the previous models no longer used the unreliable ford engines, if its pivot steer then there was the GX525 which having used i can say was a nice machine. Last TL7 I for sale was a 1997 model with 2500hrs on it and was up for ?9k. TL7 lifting to 7m, TL6 to 6m ;)

That last Sanderson sounds the part, not many hours either. I've heard quite positive things about Sandersons too.

That last Sanderson sounds the part, not many hours either. I've heard quite positive things about Sandersons too.

If you want a leaflet on them let me know as I still have most of Dads selection here, I know there's several TL ones in among them ;)