Classic tractor road legalities and number plates!!!!

ruskigman

Can i ask what is needed to get an old tractor registered on the road. I.e lights, insurance, Roll bar that sort of thing. This is a bit of a grey area in my mind, so any info would be appreciated. Thankyou

Russ

If you've got the V5 its easy enough have to tax is which is free but must have a disc displayed you can insure a classic tractor for about ?30 ish pounds a year ie just for shows and road run's lights i don't think matter if they weren't fitted hand singals should be used not sure about roll bar think they change some rules or brought some in on them if you haven't got the v5 you can apply for the log book from the dvla if not register it on a Q plate not sure how that would affect insurance

this is just what i think is right and what i done last year when i had my 955 straight forward enough  :)

Guest MF 550

first you would need the registration document (v5)

tractor insurance for road or agricultural use

once you have these you can nip to your local post office and tax it for road use free of charge

Depending on the model of tractor lights and indicators etc should be in good working order

Im sure roll bars are a legal must for tractors without cabs

i hope this is of help

Thankyou. i have the log book for my Nuffield with the registration details in it obviously, is this enough to get it registered?

Already should be registrerd i would think best think is to go to your local post office and apply for a tax disc then look in classic tractor magazine for insurance  :)

Can i ask what is needed to get an old tractor registered on the road. I.e lights, insurance, Roll bar that sort of thing. This is a bit of a grey area in my mind, so any info would be appreciated. Thankyou

Russ

Russ. If your tractor does not have a V5 or a V5C (New type registration document) you will have to contact the DVLA in Swansea to ask them if the registration number is still active. (Still on the register). If you have the afore mentioned you will be able to tax it for the road no problem providing you have a current insurance certificate.

If you have no documents you will need documented evidence that the tractor is correct, such as chassis number, original registration number, old tax disc or a bill of sale that documents the tractors identity and even then the DVLA may ask you to verify this through a club that have been approved to provide you with approved research on the tractor to say that it is 'correct'. The DVLA are in the main very helpfull and will provide you with all the relevant forms and instructios of what to do. Failing this you will either have to re-regiser it on a 'Q' plate or apply for an 'age-related' registration number.

As regards lights etc, you will only have to comply to the law as was at the time the tractor was new, for example, if it was not fitted with indicators or braking lights you won't have to fit them. A flashing beacon is not compulsory in law but it is advised. Lighting that was fitted as standard, head-side-tail are of course a requirement and must be in working order during daylight hours as well.

A roll-bar is not necessary, if an approved type was not manufactured for the tractor or there is no provision to fit one. If you are self-employed and use the tractor yourself and no other person drives or uses it you do not have to fit one.

These Russ are a few of the basics. I would suggest you look on the DVLA web-site also ROSPA and VOSA, you will probably find a lot more info there.

Any vehicle, including tractors registered before 1st January 1973 are classed as 'Historic Vehicle' and the road-fund tax is free but you still have to go through the process of taxing it as you would normally.

These vehicles can also be fitted with the alluminium black background type number plates, after this date reflective plates came in. On a tractor a front number plate is not required.

Sorry to be so long-winded on this but I've tried to inform you with the basics. Hope it helps you a bit.

If you're going to use it on the road ,rather than for agricultural use, the question of red/white diesel may arise. Several articles have appeared in Classic Tractor magazine recently, and it would seem this is quite a minefield. It may be worth seeking further advice.

Thankyou very much to all that have contributed to this topic. You've been a great help.

I have one other slightly odd question. Can i sell my number plate that is the origional one for my tractor? I have had it valued at ?1500!!! and when im trying to restore a tractor, and im not earning anything, this sum would be a great help!  Can this be done???

what would they replace it with if i could sell the original one?

You can't sell a registration from a tractor. Look at your V5 and you will see a bit under where it says 'registration mark' that says 'non-transferable', likewise you can't transfer the number or have a personal plate on it or retain it.  :'(