David Brown 780......

powerrabbit

No, blue is too Tory for me, let's have a few more white ones.

This tractor is my best tractor. 1968 D.B. 780 bought at a retirement sale August 1998. One previous owner from new, never spent a night outside, serviced regularly by the book, done 12,276 hours and has never been touched mechanicly, still on it's original clutch. This tractor is totally original apart from a little paint here and there.

It's a long story but this tractor featured in a TV documentry programme called 'Last Days At Truelove Farm' screened by HTV. Those of you in the Plymouth area around Shaugh Prior will know this one.

The tractor is pictured here at a local show last year with the original owner at the controls.

780.jpg

Lovely little tractor the d.b. The Farm / caravan site i was working on when i was still at school had one 770 three 780 one with a loader and a 990 .We had the 770 on the farm used to do the spaying ,drilling with duels on her ,and most of the light dutys .But the best job was grain cart 4 ton trailer 18 mile round trip .I can still see the pipe going purple now  ::) Two of the 780s are still used now :o

This is the only d.b i managed to get last year still used daily  :)

770.jpg

7701.jpg

This is a pic of the 780 just after I bought it loaded on the trailer ready to come home. You can see that it was in pretty good order just needed a bit of tidying up.

From the first pic of this one I posted you notice it has a black enamelled exhaust, not the original red but this is a genuine one and still gives that distinctive D.B 3 cylinder 'whistle'. The red exhausts were discontinued in the early 70's and the ones that are available now don't whiste.

I'll post a better closer pic of it as it is now later on.

780OnTriler.jpg

dont remember the program but do know the farm, now some rich persons second hoilday home or something like that

see quite a few old db's arround on dartmoor, nice small tractors for the old farms and small feilds

The programme was made by the Bristol TV people, 'Available Light Productions' it was not screened this far down as we can't get HTV but they gave me a master tape so I've got a record of it. If you look in Chris Chapmans book 'Wild Goose To Riddon' you will see all the photos and pick up the story there.

Loads of these tractors about locally, very popular like you say and very powerful for their size and did you know that less of these 780's were made than the so-called 'rare' red 770?

• 2 weeks later...