Richard's Countys......

RichardJW1

Did she go porous on you - our 3000's engine was wrecked in 1990 after lots of ploughing etc so Dad bought a new 4610 crossed block and I must say most reliable engine ever ;) for the 3600 when she needed to be reconditioned after previous owner's lack of maintainance we got new liners etc done but Dad still reckons he would have been better to put a new block in her  :(:)

Yes, it did, but back then being naive farming folks we never heard of it in our area......then when it happened everyone then told us that Fords were prone to it......and wouldn't you believe it the previous owner had it and had sleeved it.....this we didn't discover until after we'd taken it to one of them engine reconditioning places who re...re-sleeved it only to last 50hrs. ???

So highly pee'd off with it and out of pocket we decided to go the whole hog and put in a new ribbed block, this last for a couple of years until it too went porous!!!.....so we sleeved it.....this was in the late '80s.....after this sleeving it lasted then for the neck end of 12 years without any trouble.....the clock had stopped sometime in the late '90s with 9000hrs on it.

Thanks ever so much Richard... a couple of lovely pics there of the old girl as well... it's interesting to she hows she's "aged" a little since the ifrst pic as well..

Rare cab indeed... I bet there is not that many around with that cab on them... Will you do a resto project on here in the future... or will she stay in "as is" condition...

I am a great fan of leaving them as they are when they are in that gooder (is that a word ???) nick  :-\

Thanks once again... Great post...

PS... I do like the County's as well... HOWEVER I am loathe to admit in on here given my user name and my position as cleaner in the Massey Massive HQ Offices... I even get to take the broom home at weekends now... so mums the word  ;)

Hi Marky,

Yes, you're right, it has sadly deteriorated in the past 10 years, there's something to be said for regular use to stop this, plus the fact that we were a bit pushed for shed space up until very recently.

Here's one from a couple of summers ago - alongside the current 'Top-Dog'......my brother's 885XL-4 in the new workshop [or retirement home as Father calls it]

shed2006.jpg

Ideally, yes, I will one day restore it to a top condition, but its on that ever increasing list of jobs-to-do.

Out of interest anyone know where I would find another one of those cabs? Maybe stashed away in the back of a MF parts store somewhere? Come the great day when it has its new paint I will probably end up leaving it with just the standard factory 4 post roll frame because the cab is getting quite rusty.

Also looking for a NEW set of Goodyear Traction Sure Grip 13[14.9]x28 crossplys just to give it the authentic '70s look.

O.K. well have a good Easter break, folks!!!

I reckon someone will have the cab parts for that little lady Richard... I would pop up a post in the friends of ferguson heritage site... they have a for sale and wanted board... and it's free  ;D

I have got lots of information from there before... some really helpful people on there.. it takes a couple of weeks... so stick with it...  ;)

Good luck...

failing that.. donate her to the "make a Marky Ferguson happy" charity... I am sure he will do her up.. and maybe even let you sit on her when she's done  ;);D ;D ;D::)

great to have some history behind the pics richard,& good to see some older stuff still working along side the newer equipment  :) :) :)

mr ferguson ,a word about the brush if you dont mind ..........................................