Farmer Will's Farming Diary '07

FW

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Smashing photo's, machinery and farm in general Will. Nice place to be spending your hours I reckon. Lovely stuff.  :)

Cheers Tris. Yes last weeks work was mainly on the arable farm, but this week will be more around my farm, as I have my new set of chain harrows being delivered in the morning!  ;D

Ooo very smart....any pictures?  :-*

no mate , back then i only had a point & shoot camera ,  i used to take loads of pics & like many they never got developed , took a load into the chemist a few years back & they all came out black :( :( :( :( :(

Not much to add to my diary from the last couple of days, as there hasn't been much going, as we have everything drilled and just a bit of spraying and fertilising at the moment on the arable side and on the livestock side we have been calving and have been turning out cattle all over the place. Still am awaiting the delivery of my new chain harrows, though it is getting late, it is still plenty early enough in some of the fields, but was getting bored yesterday, so I set-up the old drag harrows yesterday and made a start, covering about 10 acres in a few hours.  :)

My Maxxy on the old chain harrows....

DSC00647.jpg

DSC00648.jpg

And two of the 20 odd new calves.....

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00643.jpg

That's it for the last couple of days and that will be it until monday, as I'm off on rugby tour for a long weekend in the morning to Barcelona!  ;D The home of great rugby!  :D Didn't even think they'd have a team, let alone two!  :D

Thought I'd better update this thread....Got home from my tour in the early hours of Monday morning and was just too impacient to wait to see if my latest purchases had turned up or not, so I ran round the yard in my boxers and wellies at about 3 am, and sure enough it had, and I was shocked at how big it was..... so I thought I'd get a photo ;D

DSC00668.jpg

Monday morning got it hooked up on my Case 5130, but had some difficulties with assembling the ram, with a very bad manual, making it push the pipe off under pressure and getting oil everywhere.....over the harrows, on the tractor, in the tractor! >:( So spent nearly the whole of monday trying to put that right before my Dad saw what I had done, by steam cleaning it all ( washing a brand new machine!  :D), and got a lift to Browns down the road for a new joint, who were as useful as a chocolate tea-pot! >:( But my Grandad heled me out over it and w made up a new joint. :)

After washing them off.... :)

DSC00669.jpg

DSC00671.jpg

Finally today I had a chance to get back on with it, so I got the ram all re-assembled and pulled it out into the field, only to realise that the chains were on upside-down for land-levelling, so messed about with that for a good hour, until someone pointed-out to me that I needed to turn the frame around aswell to make it fit. Which was difficult to get it backed up completely square, but finally got it done, and the chains hooked onto the frame.  >:(:) :)

Got just a few pictures of harrowing today! ::):D :D

DSC00674.jpg

DSC00675.jpg

DSC00676.jpg

DSC00677.jpg

DSC00678.jpg

DSC00679.jpg

DSC00680.jpg

DSC00681.jpg

.....and what I thought would make a good photo whilst going along. :) (Shame about the shadow though. :()

DSC00684.jpg

And then folded-up when I pulled out of the field at 8 this evening, after suprising myself of how well I'd got on, with finishing the 40 acre field. ;D

DSC00685.jpg

DSC00686.jpg

DSC00687.jpg

Yeah on grass?? Never seen that done in this country

Found an article on it......... ;)

'The use of chain harrows in the care of grass goes back a long time but even now there is the need for this most cost effective method of stimulating the grass growth.

Chain harrowing of grass is proven in scarifying the soil around the grass, pulling up weeds and moss, aerating, breaking up clods and surface crusting. This improves moisture and herbicide penetration and absorption stimulating new growth of the grass.

Chain harrows are also designed to be used on golf courses, beaches, all weather tracks, equestrian centres, football pitches and other sporting and leisure venues.

Mounted harrows can also be used as a manege leveller, with the ability to reverse into corners and be lifted off the ground for transport therefore reducing the amount of the surface that is dragged out.'

Found an article on it......... ;)

'The use of chain harrows in the care of grass goes back a long time but even now there is the need for this most cost effective method of stimulating the grass growth.

Chain harrowing of grass is proven in scarifying the soil around the grass, pulling up weeds and moss, aerating, breaking up clods and surface crusting. This improves moisture and herbicide penetration and absorption stimulating new growth of the grass.

Chain harrows are also designed to be used on golf courses, beaches, all weather tracks, equestrian centres, football pitches and other sporting and leisure venues.

Mounted harrows can also be used as a manege leveller, with the ability to reverse into corners and be lifted off the ground for transport therefore reducing the amount of the surface that is dragged out.'

Hope that helps. Yes it's big over here on grass for both livestock and silage to help the quality of th growth. ;) But most people's opinion is that it is just an excuse for the farmer to get away from his wife some afternoons in Spring....who knows! :D::) ::)

Was just about to ask you those questions!!  :D

Cheers FW, thats a total new one on me, never seen anyone doing it over here

Yes it isn't essential, I just like doing it, as it's the first oppurtunity to get out in the tractor. ;)

Great to see a Case SP Sprayer FW, I drive the newer version with an NH combine cab, I too have considered trying to build one, theres so many curves on it  ???

Yes I know what you mean, but it would look good. :-\

Never seen it done at home either to be honest but everyone to their own taste :D

What you have never seen chain harrowing been done?!!!! Not even the traditional style type.....? :o??? ???

post-409-13263858949_thumb.jpg

what do ya reckon to the new harrows Will ? pretty heavy bit of kit compared to the old style harrows arnt they , the best bit is those heavy angles at the front will literally level anything you want, farmer i delivered to had a set new & let me have a go , he also had a hopper fitted to his for grass seeding the patchy areas, he was worried that the circles would wear out ,till i pointed out they're loose so shouldn't wear in any one place. :) :) :) :)

what do ya reckon to the new harrows Will ? pretty heavy bit of kit compared to the old style harrows arnt they , the best bit is those heavy angles at the front will literally level anything you want, farmer i delivered to had a set new & let me have a go , he also had a hopper fitted to his for grass seeding the patchy areas, he was worried that the circles would wear out ,till i pointed out they're loose so shouldn't wear in any one place. :) :) :) :)

Yes they it is a cracking bit of kit and I'm very pleased. Also incredible value for money, as I wouldn't envy the manufactuers selling them for ?850! As there is a lot of metal on them and probably ?200 of that is in the ram and pipes. They almost seemed too cheap to be true. :-\