Conversion of measurement needed!!

FB

Question

For you older members to help if poss??

what is 3/32 (thats inchs ;)) in mm???....and how do you get it to mm, i can do the normal inchs to mm but this ones beyond my pre metric brain :D :D :-\ :-\ :-\

i think it is around 2mm??

1 inch equals 254mm.

Divide 254mm by 32 and to get one 32nd of an inch equivelant and then times by 3 to get 3/32 equivelent. ?? ??? ??? ??? I think?

but one inch is 25.4mm / 2.5cm ;)

One inch is 25.4mm. That means 2.54mm is about 1/16th of an inch so I presume that when you are measuring to scale you have to reduce measurment by a division of 32 for a 1/32nd outcome.  :-\

Get some batteries for that vernier Ben you tight old sod  :D :D :D

I hope your washing machine doesn't break down... we'll be using the eraser on paint to remove the brown skiddys next  :o

i have :D :D, i dont know how to convert back as i need to order from EMA!, hence i need to know the metric/imperial conversions ;)

shame i miseed this topic as i deal with stuff in work all the time, turn fractions inot a decimal x 25.4mm.  all the plastruct and brass are supplied from states that uses imperial as the standard thats why on most english websites standard sizes are quoted etc as 6.4 x 4.8mm

Does anybody know what 3mm is in old money? as i'm after some 3mm brass rod, i'm not used to inches i'm all metric  ???

That's a shade over 1/8 of an inch

Cheers Kiwi, the conversion of inchs to mm i know, it is how to get 3/32 to mm i needed to check ;)...so i can order from EMA...i blame the yanks :D :D

Ben, now you have the conversion factor of 1 inch to 25.4mm, all you have to do in future is take your fractional inch measurement, 3/32 for example, divide out the fraction on the calculator (there's one on your PC) to give 0.9375, then multiply that by 25.4 and hey presto!, you have the mm equivalent.

Going the other way is trickier though, you can easily get a decimal figure in inches by simply reversing the procedure (like in all good DIY mechanics books ;)), but getting a nice round fraction takes a bit of guesswork. If you have a scientific calculator, it will change a decimal to a fraction for you and you can work from there ;)