Three Gang Ballast Roles

FW

That works fine when you are setting them out in the field but when you have to close them up it doesn't, not for anyone I know anyway

that was one benefit of sloping land,...at least the gradient would help in rolling the units down to put the pins in, unless you overdid it of course..... Archie Kidd units they look to me. I've got a brochure somewhere,  1 ton each I believe.

I think you could be right there Adam. :o:);) As for make I have no idea. :-\

They were made by Twose of Tiverton (Blundells Road) Devon.

Went up with YFC and looked at these rollers being made several years ago, very interesting process, ends of rollers and the ballasting hole and all the other holes for pins and bolts were cut from the sheet steel on a damn great plasma cutting machine. The steel sheet for the rollers were passed to and fro through a roller mill cold to form the tube then the welders got to work to stick all the bits together, then put in a sealed shed and sandblasted, next shed, hung up by the drawbar and undercoated with red oxide and then finished with top-coat in another shed.

The bearings were made of beech blocks on the blue ones, the later yellow ones were, in the main. fitted with greasable steel bearings but the beech wood ones used to last twice as long.

Ok, stupid question perhaps, to some, but what are they ballasted with, concrete or water?

Usually water, often mixed with anti freeze so it doesn't need draining in the winter, although the one we borrow at work is filled with waste oil so it doesn't need draining and doesn't rust from the inside out either

I think you could be right there Adam. :o:);) As for make I have no idea. :-\

The rollers shown in the pictures are Kidd. Twose rollers were water ballasted and had wooden bearings. Also if you look at the lead roller, there is evidence of yellow paint on the tip of the drawbar which was the Kidd colour scheme. The only solid filled roller I can remember other than Kidd were the Manns of Saxham (Claas importers) rollers which were Claas green. ;)