Spreading Fert.

jdc

Just a couple of today's job.

Putting 0:20:30 on grass, S. Barley, and some roots. Local merchant gives a discount for bulk collection, and no bags to get rid of either.  :)

post-300-132638596295_thumb.jpg

post-300-132638596299_thumb.jpg

Great pics John.. how long does it take to spread an acre in that rig mate...  ???

In the past I have managed to do 340 acres in 8 hours with my old Renault and a KRM on 24m tramlines when I was on the estate ;)

gav you must have been nipping on.how much were you putting on per acre. was somebody bring the fert to you. when i am at home we have one on the spreader and one on the teleporter loading

I was travelling at 14kph and doing 250kg a hectare with no help but all the fields were within 1.5 miles of the yard ;)

If I collect about 8 or 10 t myself it's over ?10/t which makes it worthwhile as the plant is only 2 miles away.  :)

That's a nice saving to make per tonne and it all adds up at the end of the day too. Plus no empty bags blowing around to tidy up when you finish  :) and also no disposal problems as you can't burn empty bags now either under the new waste rules. Bl**dy bureaucrats at work again 

I spread at 20 kph and the computer says I'm doing a spot rate of 54 ha/hr.  :o:)

It's the journeys back to base that slow things up, as I'm on my own......

Our's wouldn't operate at that speed as it was only the base model with no electronics on it, mind you I would have probably been shot if I worked at that speed. The boss and other guys believed 10 kph was a better speed, my argument was if the charts say it's accurate at that speed, we have 1800 acres to get round so surely going a bit quicker makes sense.... the boss came round to that way of thinking along with two of the guys but the 3rd one would rather drag the job out for overtime :-\

The only reason I do 20k is that if I go faster, the shutter is at max for say 300kg/ha and the bloomin' thing starts bleeping.  :)

It's still v.v. accurate and I don't have stripes  :)

• 8 months later...

The only reason I do 20k is that if I go faster, the shutter is at max for say 300kg/ha and the bloomin' thing starts bleeping.  :)

It's still v.v. accurate and I don't have stripes  :)

good stuff, yes a tidy farm ,kit looks well... oh and I can have bloody stripes at a lot less than that speed!  sometimes I have none, you can`t tell  at all but other times its awful :(.......they called me stwipey one year!!! :o

also a point to note........we were using carrs that year  we do most years as its what our co op sells you get good prices  and member discount or dividend at the year end  ;) this year its over ?320 a tonne at the mo and delivery late may !!!!!!! we got ours at a lot less than that thankfully.

back to my point, more than every other farm around here had stripes in the silage that year all different operators and machines only constant was the fertiliser, we got together and talked about it and none of us knew what we`d done differently ............I have since been told it can because  of  using blended fertiliser ???? ??? 

Something else to note, two guys nearby I asked had no stripes in their silage ...........they  both used Yara fertiliser. ???

I do believe in the accuracy of the newer machines and gps !!!! wish I could afford and could justify  gettin it! :)

sorry for bringing this topic back up but, i realy like your farm it looks well, looks nice and tidy too. was just wondering what tractor fleet you have ??? have you ever put your tractors into a topic (apart from the 3065 i think thats the right model)  ???

Cheers Matty  :)

I have a list of the kit here.

I think that stripes are caused by trying to spread fert to far (cheap urea based stuff)  or by not setting machine for the fert in use. I'm guilty of charging out and spreading 'N' then compound and then realise I should've changed discs, tilt or some other setting.  :)

I tend to use only SP5 stuff nowadays - considering the price it doesn't add a lot to the bill.

I've got all my spring fertiliser sitting in the shed too - with an armed guard  :D

Bulk i just love that idea wish it had been around 20 odd years ago  ;D We had a deal with a local merchant we pick the fert up saved a few pounds well it was only half a mile away But the day the cowman picked up three loads was getting silly and i had only half a load left by the end of the day remmeber sleeping very well that night  ::) Well they were ten ton loads and 110 lbs bags (that two 25 kgs bags for the younger members) I do wish hse was around in them days  ;D

Very nice vert spinner beets the vari spreder hands down

I have a list of the kit here.

I think that stripes are caused by trying to spread fert to far (cheap urea based stuff)  or by not setting machine for the fert in use. I'm guilty of charging out and spreading 'N' then compound and then realise I should've changed discs, tilt or some other setting.  :)

I tend to use only SP5 stuff nowadays - considering the price it doesn't add a lot to the bill.

I've got all my spring fertiliser sitting in the shed too - with an armed guard  :D

very possible none of us altered the settings to take account of the new years fertiliser , i guess it could have been different in size or weight but yes well operator error has to be well up there , certainly in my case  ::)

I dont blame you with the armed guard... ;D almost too expensive for grazing ground ..............I think it`s gonna tell a tale and folks will need to think hard about their options.........profit  ???.what profit ..............could well become reality for us livestock boys if it isn`t already.....

hey ho the sun`s shining and I hear  on tv spring is just around the corner  :)...............i`ll believe that in o late april or may !!!!

thanks , oh and I have to add you have a great website, excellent info for everyone .........some fantastic models there too :)

thats a great website you've got there john, and as for the farm :o loos very clean and tidy which is what i love :-* nice to see it :)

Thanks Matty, i like to look after the kit.  ;)

those spreaders are great and the calibartor computer makes life nice and easy, whens the 8360 up for changing john  ???

I'm thinking about changing this year, but it depends on prices.  :)

We used to get all the fertiliser in small bags - I remember 2, 20 tonners in one day......we were like you at the end of it. then we had to hand ball it on to trailers and then into the spreader.  :)