Silage Making In The Past.

powerrabbit

Here are some pics of filling the silage pit back in 1987, yes, 20 years ago now. I thought that now it's that time of year again and little if any pit silage is done now that this would kindle some memories and be of interest.

The pit is a self-feed pit that doubles as a yard. the back wall is 9 metres high so you can judge how much grass has gon in at this point, it's 64 feet in length and 45 feet wide and holds 400 tons of consolodated silage. The shed joining the pit is the cubicle house.The two men forking the grass on the pit are, the one in the left of the pic is my Father and the other is the Father of the chap who was doing the silage for us, sadly these two are no longer with us, they were both well in their sixties then.

Silageing01.jpg

Silageing02.jpg

Silageing03.jpg

Silageing04.jpg

What is the County  ??

Looks like a 4600 four  ;);D

Yes I think it is. It is still around, in preservation, rare tractor apparently, Ford only produced a few.

Will be rare if made by Ford !!!! ::)

Does it not say COUNTY  on front ?? ;D ;D

Ignore 'Ford' think 'County'.  I'm afraid I'm not really into these blue tractors!   :-[

To answer your question Graham, I'm in a little burrow on Dartmoor.  ;)

Ah the old days when tandem axle trailers were only coming into voke - can just remember my neighbour having a contractor cut his silage for 2 weeks now done in 6 hours all Zetor Crystal 8011's drawing as well - always oil on the road and one broken down :D :D. Another contractor had a Deutz 110 mowing down and all IH's drawing - I can still remember the roar out of his 1055 with 1255 engine coming up the hill near our house with the first tandem axle trailer in the area - oh happy days ;D

The chap that did the pit silage for us that year gave up his contracting soon after as he had the opportunity, which he took, of a Duchy farm on the moor so the following year we employed another local contractor to do it. I cut the grass myself with a D.B 995 and Claas WM22 6ft cut mower, the contractor said he wanted me to put two cut rows of grass into one as, as he put it, 'his Maxim and precision chop forager would just eat the grass'. Famous last words, there was so much grass that he had to drop 4 gears and only went 1/3rd way round the outside of a 11 acre field to fill a 10 ton trailer. When we got his invoice for the job he had charged us PER LOAD when he had previously quoted per acre, Father told him where he could stick his loads and we never used him again.

Cheers for sharing the pictures they were definatly the good old days

as a kid i can remember tractors going past our house for days on end all the local farms silaging

brings back some memories

thanks again for sharing

Nick

If I can find some more old pics on this subject I'll post them up, can't prommise but I'll try and look them out and may be able to find some old pics of other harvesting activities.