Another one for the row-crop fans: Large Fendt "Ger?tetr?ger" in action

Richard de Florennes

And finally the two last and best pictures, sorry for the low quality of the first pics, but bad lighting conditions, hazy weather and far distances made business harder than usual yesterday.

Amazingly, it's always with the sprayers when farmers stop, jump of the tractors and ask "why are you taking pictures?" (they presume I was a press-man doing bad journalism concerning use of "poison on the fields"). When I explain that I am a farming enthusiasts most are not only delighted but even allow for some talk about business. This farmer was a little bit bad-mooded yesterday, but explained - after I sayed: "Love those row crop wheels on the tractor" - "You should see him on flotations, looking even better than ?" and he also gave me a hint where to catch him / on what field.

By the way, although I am convinced that spraying chemicals is necessary in many cases, I must admit that a am a little bit shocked by the numer of spraying implements and spraying missions on our fields here, since beginning taking pictures on a regular basis this year. Just cannot imagine all those litres of spray will remain witout any bad side-effects for nature and health. Nevertheless, due to lack of larger organic farmers in our area (did not see any row cultivator for weeks, everything is performed with help of spraying here now ...) the sprayer provide a lot of nice but dangerous (some farmer get mad until that they know what's my business, one almost knocked me down ...) photo opportunities.

In each case, I think this Fendt looks great and will defintely have to be rebuilt as modell one day!

post-1013-132638610616_thumb.jpg

post-1013-132638610619_thumb.jpg

What is often the case now here is that farmers use less than a full dose of chemical everytime so they need to go in more often, or, in the case of potatoes, they need spraying  every 7-14 days or sooner in certain weather conditions during the growing season to prevent them from getting the disease called Blight ;)

What is often the case now here is that farmers use less than a full dose of chemical everytime so they need to go in more often, or, in the case of potatoes, they need spraying  every 7-14 days or sooner in certain weather conditions during the growing season to prevent them from getting the disease called Blight ;)

Thank you for the explanation. This is a good reason for the large amount of spreaders active in our (potato farming) area, as we have extermely humid and warm weather these days. Now I can eat my chips again without bad feelings ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Cool pictures. :)

From my experiance the spray programs in Germany use less cemicals than the spray programs in New Zealand.

On some types of flower bulbs it is every day life were I work to spend 5000+ pounds per hectare on chemicls alone.