Corn harvest - South Devon

RichardJW1

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great pics mate, had a couple of dry days recently which has helped no end hasnt it,

spud

10/12 ft headers are pretty much the norm round this way, most feilds are interlocked and not easy to get to in the first place, prob why we have so many older combines down this way, space and access, although there is a big jd over the other side from richard, in east portelmouth from memory

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

To be honest we only just bought the combine this year to replace an elderly Clayson, so its been a new experience!!!

Its a late '83 NH 8040 with a Fiat 6cyl. motor which was sold by Murleys originally, then about 6 yrs ago it found its way to Crediton nr. Exeter. The previous owner was looking to upgrade to something with a bit more capacity and got an 8060.

To be hon. I wasn't there to take the pics and grab the atmos. but first impressions were pleasing for brother & father.....which is just as well with grain prices going the way they are.

810, I believe you mean the folks over at Rickham with the JD? With a fleet of Massey tractors as well? The farm is on the market apparently, but being coastal I expect that National Trust will buy it and let perfectly good productive arable land run in to nothing more than a bl00dy wilderness  >:( !!! Such is the trend nowadays!

Well don't laugh, will you. But this was our previous 'Flying Machine'!!! Its a '68 M89 which we bought in '85 to replace an old Massey 780 special!!! The pace of life moves a little bit slower down here  ;)

I know what you're thinking, get a contractor in, well we always like to be as self-sufficient as we can, machinery is older and doesn't have the mega-outputs but its out-and-out ours, it goes back in the shed and we don't sit waiting for a call from the bank manager.

But to be hon. its only this year that its actually become slightly more worthwhile to grow corn, lord knows for the last 10 yrs the prices have dropped so bad it was hardly worth even sowing it. And with only 30+ acres we didn't really justify a major upgrade until now, so we have some spare capacity to go off and start doing some contract work, if the need arises.

Anyone interested in a second-hand M89 w/ 8ft cut combine? Suit a small farm, and we'd like it to go to a good home........A contractor would cost you ?25 per acre!!!

1968M89.jpg

What an absolute gem of a machine, tell you what Rich I don't doubt that harvest down your way has more of a fun element if that is the right word to use. All this old kit (which appears well looked after I might add) surely brings the kids out in the old boys? It's brilliant to see it all out there working, I love it!!

The reason I asked is coz my mate bought a 1530 from Devon or Cornwall somewhere and then sold it to a chap down that way agian, Padstow. Here she is on their lowloader.

post-227-132638623828_thumb.jpg

I have to say Deere that I did smile when i saw that 1530 on the low-loader. We talked it over at home and father was adamant that we should look for a "nice little 1530".......he'd have been delighted with that one!

Brother and me went off to Credition to see the 8040 in late May & came back full-of-it.....he needed some convincing! Anyway when it arrived that was it.....no going back now......even at 74 yrs old one of the first things he said was "Right, you better show me what all these bl00dy levers do!!!!"

gotithome.jpg

Yes, "fun" is one word that describes harvest at home, "consternation" is another when something breaks down, but yes, I get your point.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

To be honest we only just bought the combine this year to replace an elderly Clayson, so its been a new experience!!!

Its a late '83 NH 8040 with a Fiat 6cyl. motor which was sold by Murleys originally, then about 6 yrs ago it found its way to Crediton nr. Exeter. The previous owner was looking to upgrade to something with a bit more capacity and got an 8060.

To be hon. I wasn't there to take the pics and grab the atmos. but first impressions were pleasing for brother & father.....which is just as well with grain prices going the way they are.

810, I believe you mean the folks over at Rickham with the JD? With a fleet of Massey tractors as well? The farm is on the market apparently, but being coastal I expect that National Trust will buy it and let perfectly good productive arable land run in to nothing more than a bl00dy wilderness  >:( !!! Such is the trend nowadays!

yeah he has a 390 for one along with others, didnt know it was for sale though, cant see national trust getting it, maybe the smaller fields next to the coast, but the rest mmm

Lovely, it's is in as good nic as that 1530. I think my mate paid ?1200 for her. Not sure what he got for it though - had to be at least double knowing how they can talk the talk!! So how many acres will your girl be cutting this year and who will drive her, just the father or someone else as well?

Brother David will be at the wheel, father just likes to keep his hand in now & again......we only grow around 30 acres of winter & spring barley & a few oats for the sheep. But the way its going the cattle numbers are getting fewer & fewer thanks to T.B. which is ripping through the livestock all around here and brother has some good contacts who're looking to buy corn by the trailer load at times over the winter. So he's planning to double the acreage and if any outside work comes up then perhaps pick that up as well. Contractors around us that have combines are all big 6 walker machines and too big to get around the country lanes and thru gateways, we've seen them turn up at other farms before with the telehandler & bucket just to widen gateways. With the header off this thing is only 8'10" across the front wheels.

Perfect then by the sounds of it, even modern day small combines arn't all that small in reality. When we made the trip down with the 1530 we picked up a John Deere 965 with a ten foot cut from a place near Fowey, that was a contractor. He rplaced it with two C reg Deere's which I think were a 1075 and a 1168H but I may have some model numbers wrong there. I think they were still only 13ft or something like that. even though he had a few modern and new tractors he couldn't justify a newer, bigger combine as the logistics and acearge don't add up to more work, just a greater hassle.

Lovely combine there Richard - I agree completely with your philospohy it is something that we are also trying to implement at home especially on the tillage side for a similar acreage - we only have a combine to buy now and maybe another trailer but that isn't a priority as we have plenty of cement to tip up on. Hopefuly this year or more than likely next year we will buy a 10' machine ;)

Believe it or not we also used to run a MF 780 Special - still have her rusting away will be scrapped in the next few months :(

Guest Powerdozer

Love to see the older kit at work, i can i say what a smart combine you have maybe smaller than todays offerings but still capable of a good days chop.

I likethe way your dad is walking alongside the combine checking how she is running reminded me of some of my neighbours :D :D

Fiat engine in her you say - never knew that option existed -is it an 8065.06 the same engine as in a 110-90 :-*

Its a Fiat 8061, I think and honestly don't know what its similar to....not at home just right now, just memory.

We had a job finding an oil filter for it.....the parts books are all geared for Ford engines.

Yep, Father was there, checking for losses, making the odd tweak....keeps him young  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful photo's, really nice to see this older stuff working so well together. It looks fantastic, I'd swap air con and cd players for that any day fo the week - maybe even two days!!! These would be little gems in black and white  :) How are the crops looking and how much left to go Richard?