Norfolk Farm Stay holiday photos

PDH

Returned this week from a Farm Stay holiday in Norfolk.  We stayed on Home Farm, Stow Bedon.  The farm has just gone through a major change.  It was a mixed farm of 260 acres but the farmer had just sold off 230 acres and the farmyard and remaining 30 acres were being used as a pig fattening unit (1100 pigs) and a contractors yard. 

Here are some photos of the tractors used on the pig unit and the tractors and machinery used for the contracting operation.

General Yard tractor ? MF690

IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

Pig Unit scraper ? MF 165

IMG_2678.jpg

Various old trailers used around the farm

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

Manitou

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

New NH BR750 Baler

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

Brand new Lemken EurOpal 8 6F plough

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

A new NH T7030 just about to take the Lemken out for the first time

IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

More of the NH T7030

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

NH TS135A with Bale trailer

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

New NH T6070 with a trailer they were using to haul onions

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

A Pig farm must have been a smelly place for a holiday. He seems to have spent his money well after selling 230 acres. What was his reason  for selling the land ???

Surprisingly it wasn't too bad.  Of course we weren't there much during the day but the pigs were under cover (the buildings are behind the second picture of the MF 690).  The were well ventilated and cleaned everyother day which probably helped.

I think he had a good offer from the neighbouring farm for the land and he said 260 acres wasn't enough to make it economic....he reckoned he needed 600 to 700 acres to make it pay properly and replace the machinery etc.  The farm was a mixed arable/animal (Cows/sheep/pigs).  Also the only son wanted to start contracting and not take the farm on.  So when the neighbouring farmer made the offer and gave them a contract for cultivation/baling and carting for most of the increased farm he jumped at it.  Can't say I blame him.

Surprisingly it wasn't too bad.  Of course we weren't there much during the day but the pigs were under cover (the buildings are behind the second picture of the MF 690).  The were well ventilated and cleaned everyother day which probably helped.

I think he had a good offer from the neighbouring farm for the land and he said 260 acres wasn't enough to make it economic....he reckoned he needed 600 to 700 acres to make it pay properly and replace the machinery etc.  The farm was a mixed arable/animal (Cows/sheep/pigs).  Also the only son wanted to start contracting and not take the farm on.  So when the neighbouring farmer made the offer and gave them a contract for cultivation/baling and carting for most of the increased farm he jumped at it.  Can't say I blame him.

pig farms dont normally smell it has to be said, we had 3 and most people that came never noticed the smell, pigs are actually quite clean animals ,and only tend to make mess in the right areas not the bedding area, which not to many people know

know of the area you went to mate, nice arround that way, actually got a few "slight" hills arround there as aposed to the ususal flat apperrace

Nice pictures there. Looks like a good place to stay.

A lot of 07 plated stuff so I assume they are rented?

when you have just sold 250 odd acres of prime norfolk arabile land i guess you can buy most things easy enough kev, not many farmers round that way rented stuff , most buy ,well they did when we farmed that way anyway