How to bend Plasticard

Big A

Question

18 answers to this question

I normally put it for about 15 minutes in hot water and than try to bent it on a round piece of wood, glas, tin or whatever form I need. Than I secure it with a rubber band or tape and let it rest for a while.

First of all what do you mean by "bend"

Do you mean fold over at an angle or

Mould into a shape

Sorry for my English: I mean mould into a shape. When I fold it over at an angle, I carve the poly at one side and fold it over to the other side.

Edit: I would made the sides of the trailer with different layers of poly sheets and strips and fill it with bondo.

you would be better off making a flat side first then using other bits cut to size with one angled edge on one side to build up the raised part/ make the trough part ,sort of multi layering with the plastic card doubt plasti card would heat to that sort of shape, the bends are to close

when i made my stewarts and titan trailers, i use plastruct strip in layers.

2.jpg

but if you want to creat the ribs on the inside aswell, cut the plasticard into strip and butt joint it to a square section of plastruct. turn and the then butt joint more strip t o the opposite side

If you really want to do this right and have the folds match on the inside and outside of the finished trailer you need to use a strip heater. This has a piece of resistance wire that heats up when current is passed through it. Placing this wire close to a sheet of plastic for a short period of time heats just a strip of the plastic enough for you to easily bend it to any angle you want, where it sets once it cools down. I've never actaully used one myself but I've seen plenty of stuff made using this method in school. I'd say it would take skill and some trial and error to get it to work properly without completely melting or burning the plastic, and I would say that the best results would be achieved using thin sheets to give the sharpest bends ;)

If you really want to do this right and have the folds match on the inside and outside of the finished trailer you need to use a strip heater. This has a piece of resistance wire that heats up when current is passed through it. Placing this wire close to a sheet of plastic for a short period of time heats just a strip of the plastic enough for you to easily bend it to any angle you want, where it sets once it cools down. I've never actaully used one myself but I've seen plenty of stuff made using this method in school. I'd say it would take skill and some trial and error to get it to work properly without completely melting or burning the plastic, and I would say that the best results would be achieved using thin sheets to give the sharpest bends ;)

As James says, a hot wire bender would do the best job and quickly, just fairly dear to buy. ;)