uh matador

just got my matador today, what a cracking model, only problem is my tines on the header reel seem to be backwards??? are anyone elses?? real question is, what side would the extra wheel that keeps the tines/arms level while turning be, as it could just be a case of turning the reel round, its currently on the drive cog side of the header,

mines dealer box, so it goes with the europas, might have to return this if its faulty ???

So is mine but as its an Xmas pressie its been hidden from me till next week!  Got an email address for Claas Customer Services so if we can get no info from elsewhere I'll email Claas in the New Year (no point now till after Jan 1) and see if I can get any advice/help.  Pester Geoff Sean for more info if he has it.

mine's like that too, I just thought they'd done it like that as the tines would get broken off if they were protruding as they should on the front sets...Bruder do the same on their Dominator.

The cam track is in the right place on the nearside/drive end. I haven't tried to rotate my real as it's still all held in the packing, so will it rotate? 

Who's going to do some new "GIANT" transfers so we can put them where they should be...on the diesel tank? There's a 2nd rev counter by the drum speed one, has anyone met these on the real machine? Oh.... and red front side lights?  ???:(  Otherwise very impressed....Oh and another thing :the flights on the auger in the tank should only come across about 1/3rd as far as what they do (otherwise grain would spew out over the nearside of the tank when nearly full.

I?ve been allowed to remove mine from the Christmas pressie pile and open it to check it.  I?ve also had a look at Claas Chronicles book and any other reference material I can find about the Matador.

Interpreting, correctly I hope, what James and Sean have said about the reel tines then looking at the picture on the box (I have a dealer box version)and the model then the reel tines on the model are fitted the opposite way round to the box picture.  However looking at the Claas Chronicles book at comparable combines (unfortunately there is no picture of a Matador header/reel in the book) then they would appear to be fitted correctly on the model and wrong in the box picture. 

However what is wrong on my model is the position of the reel central support ?wheel?.  It should be in the centre of the reel but on my model it is towards the offside.

The reel does rotate but is not removable with out some serious surgery.

I spoke with Geoff last night and he knows no more than he put on here.  Discussions are supposed to have taken place between Claas and UH about ?two problems on the front? (what exactly the problems are I do not know) and Claas have allegedly asked for a corrected production run.  However they are still for sale in the Claas Shop today so have not been withdrawn. 

Also the model doesn?t travel well; there have been quite a few with broken guides on the header bottom.

I suspect only Claas and UH know what is going to happen but with all the dealer and standard box versions issued and sold a recall may prove impossible and a Mark 2 version with mods/corrections may be produced (similar to the situation with the Xerion).  So unless we can get an answer from UH or Claas we will probably just have to wait and see.

Below are a couple of photos of the reel/header on my Matador to illustrate what I?ve tried to describe above.  Would be interested in confirmation from those who have a model of the UH Matador whether theirs is the same as mine and which version (dealer or standard) they have.

post-216-132638682809_thumb.jpg

post-216-132638682815_thumb.jpg

Having checked mine over before coming on here tonight I can report my pickup reel is like yours pdh and I too had picked up on the off-centre middle wheel. The reel tine bars have just been stuck on to avoid the tines being vulnerable I guess as I mentioned before and to allow the reel to rotate. If they'd been stuck on in their real positions related to each other all pointing down there would only be one correct position to display it and this would also have prevented rotation due to some then fouling the table auger.

My other suspicion which I've not aired before is that the engine looks a a bit short for a "Giant" which I've only ever known to be a 6cyl, but on further assessment I see has 4cyl inlet and exhaust manifolds! I'm pretty sure the 6cyl extended out over the platform on the offside of the machine where the model does not,....only the chaff screen. After all the pulley drive line can't be altered, so the extra engine length.has to go out over the offside.

One very authentic detail I noticed on mine was the nearside brake drum had slid out away from the gearbox  ::) I had that once...fortuneately in the field and found it after investigating why I suddenly had no brakes as the shoes expanded against nothing  :o:)

The model I have is the same on the reel as well and I believe that the tines and the central reel 'wheel' is in the correct position. Looking in the book, 'An Illustrated History Of Combine Harvesters' by Jim Wilkie. (Published 2001)., it shows a black and white picture of two Matador's working and the tines and central reel wheel are in the same position as on the model.  A shame that the crop divider extentions were not included with the model as a little 'extra'.

Oh yes I forgot to mention them too.The Europa has them I seem to remember.

I like the bright straw deflector tines under the rear hood. I couldn't make out what the pin was that I could see on the pictures on here last week and realise now UH have threaded it through the tine eyes for safe transit until display time. Shame the loops on the ends are way over-scale though.

The tank emptying auger is actually in gear ...but then it would have been during winter storage when I presume they measured it up. ( In order to prevent the belt from shrinking, which is what happened to Dad's during the first winter we had one ('65). He couldn't stop it from driving first time out and had to get a new one from Haynes, Appledore, Kent. We always left them under tension thereafter like the main thrasher flat belt, which has just made me realise they haven't left this one's thrasher belt under tension. ::):)

The model I have is the same on the reel as well and I believe that the tines and the central reel 'wheel' is in the correct position. Looking in the book, 'An Illustrated History Of Combine Harvesters' by Jim Wilkie. (Published 2001)., it shows a black and white picture of two Matador's working and the tines and central reel wheel are in the same position as on the model.   A shame that the crop divider extentions were not included with the model as a little 'extra'.

I don't know what books you're looking at powerrabbit, but the tines wouldn't even pull in the crop positioned like that. Nigel is right, they've been glued on in the wrong position to allow the reel to rotate, the sholud all hang down, more or less, the cam track then serves to rotate them on the reel to keep them looking the right way. My dad had a Matador Gigant years ago and yes they did have the six cylinder version of the Major engine. Between that and the fact that they got the decals wrong and the header seems a bit narrow, I'd say they measured a standard one or a bitsa :-\

mine's like that too, I just thought they'd done it like that as the tines would get broken off if they were protruding as they should on the front sets...Bruder do the same on their Dominator.

The cam track is in the right place on the nearside/drive end. I haven't tried to rotate my real as it's still all held in the packing, so will it rotate?   

Who's going to do some new "GIANT" transfers so we can put them where they should be...on the diesel tank? There's a 2nd rev counter by the drum speed one, has anyone met these on the real machine? Oh.... and red front side lights?  ???:(  Otherwise very impressed....Oh and another thing :the flights on the auger in the tank should only come across about 1/3rd as far as what they do (otherwise grain would spew out over the nearside of the tank when nearly full.

wouldnt try to turn it mate, i had a good look, and they seem easy to break, intrestinly i noticed the pic on the box, they have indeed turned it round so its wrong

wouldnt try to turn it mate, i had a good look, and they seem easy to break, intrestinly i noticed the pic on the box, they have indeed turned it round so its wrong

Sean I think the model pictured on the box is wrong.

James f sent me a couple of photos of the header and reel on his UH Matatdor last night, attached below (hope this is OK wth you James).  These show the tines the same way round as mine but the central reel wheel appears to be in the centre of the reel so there are some around that are OK.  I actually think there is nothing wrong with this model.  This is a standard box version.

James f sent me a couple of photos of the header and reel on his UH Matatdor last night, attached below (hope this is OK wth you James).  These show the tines the same way round as mine but the central reel wheel appears to be in the centre of the reel so there are some around that are OK.  I actually think there is nothing wrong with this model.  This is a standard box version.

I did no such thing, I don't even have one ??? ??? ???

I noticed though on yours PDH that there are 9 tines on one side and 10 on the other. I counted the tines on James T and it is the same. That centre wheel has to be off surely on both then ???

Having checked I totally agree with you, just in James photos is looks more central than mine.  Angle the photo is taken at?