pottinger torro

fendt-man-matty

heres some info about them....

1.85 m pick-up, 6 rows of tines, centre support, levelling plate with swath guide roll, sealed transmission submerged in grease with automatic cut-out

POWERMATIC loading rotor with 8 screw-shaped rows of tines made from hardened boron steel.

DLG awarded chopping system with 'easy-move' pivot system for ease of maintenance

Tabdem chassis, forged parabolic springs, wide wheel base, pneumatic brakes up to 20t total weight, and up to 70 km/h

Discharge rotors with 2 aggressive rotors (removable)

Automatic loading control system

well i was wondering what you guys thought of theer machines :-\ any of you have them?? are they a good machine to start silage with as a contractor :-\ is there a model of these? but just give your general veiw on them 8)

post-1170-13263868467_thumb.jpg

a guy round here runs 2 , pulls with Deutz tractors.............opinions mixed, they are HEAVY no use for wet wet land  or steep slopes  and there are plenty of those in our neck of the woods, I`ve heard too the silage in them is so tight you need 2 buckrakes  to keep up on one time  you get it pulled apart, spread and rolled but that may have been the fault of the guy on the buckrake.I`m specifically talking about the pottinger torro here... In general,they are cumbersome bruts too so not so good  in tight spaces.I don`t think there will  be a rush on that type of machine round here. However, two farms locally have them both had a high hp tractor anyway, one has a smallish dairy and very small silage fields  quite square in shape, slight slope on them ,early land  it is too and him and his son bought one last year, a small one I think its a strautmann.They work away themselves with a small rake , spreading mower and dont need to wait on contractors  who I suspect find their small job more of an inconvenience than anything really which is a shame but that`s life. They got on ok with it and wish they`d had one years ago..............I don`t know too much about the other one other than it is DEF a strautmann pulled by a BIG MF  they rolled it the first year they had it and did over 10k`s worth of damage..met a car on a anrrow road went over onto the verge and it sank and rolled ! they have bigger acres  and replaced a round bale system with it.....the plastic costs are gettin to be a big factor with bales  as far as I can see  and we make 2000 or so a year for ourselves!

horses for courses then on these babies  in my humble opinion.

The Agricultural Research Institute of Northern Ireland in Hillsborough did a side-by-side test of a JQ SPFH outfit and a TORRO. [url=http://www.poettinger.at/landtechnik/download/sd_hillsborough_en.pdf]The results are quite interesting.

Have a read. It goes through most of the variables. The saving on fuel and drivers is probably the most notable benefit of using this type of system.

The Agricultural Research Institute of Northern Ireland in Hillsborough did a side-by-side test of a JQ SPFH outfit and a TORRO. [url=http://www.poettinger.at/landtechnik/download/sd_hillsborough_en.pdf]The results are quite interesting.

Have a read. It goes through most of the variables. The saving on fuel and drivers is probably the most notable benefit of using this type of system.

Agree with you there Stan but there are other variables to take into account such as a Torro can't harvest maize or wholecrop etc ;)