Air Brushing

FW

Question

Firstly, does anyone do any and do they find it a better system than spray can? If so what do you use? Also is it very economical or do you get a lot of wastage?

Am looking into investing in some kit, but just wanted to know what the pro's and con's are of them, other than cost. I understand you need a compressor, but I don't know where to start tbh, or am I better leaving it and keep buying spray cans at ?5 a throw?

Any help would be much aprreciated as ever. Thanks, Will :)

11 answers to this question

I have been told that abrushing is a lot cheaper than using spray cans  ;) ;)

If painting in quantity I guess, as you can buy tins instead which I guess needs thinning? :-\ ??? ???

I've been airbrushing for quite a while now and am still learning.  You can run an airbrush off air cans but a compressor is the way to go to save money.  Spend lots of time looking, asking before committing and make sure if you buy an airbrush its intended for the usage it'll get.  There are a lot of different ones out there.  I can recommend where to buy if you PM me.

The best airbrush is Iwata (and they make compressors as well).  Budget about ?400-00 for an initial set up but you may need a little more for all the safety gear.  Airbrushing can be dangerous for your health and its messy.

As above, but if you are just going to spray models and not do fancy graphics on cars, I find a ?80 compressor/tank/regulator/drier is fine and a ?30 airbrush. Paint consumption is about 4ml/coat on a tractor but about 50ml thinners to clean after. Keeping the gear clean is essential.

I built a wee spray booth in the workshop with an extractor fan above and it works well - as with any paint, you need warmth to get a good job.

Finish using an airbrush is far superior to a can as thinner coats can be applied which retains the detail - also you can buy 1 lt original manufacturers paint for the same price as a touch up can, so it will probably last you for life. HTH  ;D

As above, but if you are just going to spray models and not do fancy graphics on cars, I find a ?80 compressor/tank/regulator/drier is fine and a ?30 airbrush. Paint consumption is about 4ml/coat on a tractor but about 50ml thinners to clean after. Keeping the gear clean is essential.

I built a wee spray booth in the workshop with an extractor fan above and it works well - as with any paint, you need warmth to get a good job.

Finish using an airbrush is far superior to a can as thinner coats can be applied which retains the detail - also you can buy 1 lt original manufacturers paint for the same price as a touch up can, so it will probably last you for life. HTH  ;D

Oh yeah definatly, thanks John. What did you use for your fan? Oh and would a standard workshop compressor be any good, as we have a fair few kicking about us. :-\ :);)

Originally I used the farm air supply but it was too cold during winter.  :(  So I bought a cheepie compressor from ebay and 2 years and 100s of hours later it's fine. I paint everything with an airbrush now and only use a paintbrush for detail....  ;)

Fan is a 2nd hand 9" Xpelair which just vents into the adjacent farm building.

Originally I used the farm air supply but it was too cold during winter.  :(   So I bought a cheepie compressor from ebay and 2 years and 100s of hours later it's fine. I paint everything with an airbrush now and only use a paintbrush for detail....  ;)

Fan is a 2nd hand 9" Xpelair which just vents into the adjacent farm building.

Ah right I see, might go to the reclamers and ask. So is that a 1.5hp sort of thing? :-\