silage

Murray

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We always have the spout loading to the right of the machine, its easier for the driver to glance to the trailer with all the controls on that side so i'm told. All 3 of our forager drivers load right-handed.

I don't see why it should make a difference that the controls are on the left side, surely the driver doesn't have to look at them every time he makes an adjustment? A few hours in the seat and you should be able to make all the adjustments by touch. I'm sure manufacturers put a lot of effort into the ergonomics of the controls so that you can tell them by touch. I'd say its more of a personal preference thing and tradition or what way you see others doing it. The loading on the left may have come from the days when trailed foragers used to load to the left?

I don't see why it should make a difference that the controls are on the left side, surely the driver doesn't have to look at them every time he makes an adjustment? A few hours in the seat and you should be able to make all the adjustments by touch. I'm sure manufacturers put a lot of effort into the ergonomics of the controls so that you can tell them by touch. I'd say its more of a personal preference thing and tradition or what way you see others doing it. The loading on the left may have come from the days when trailed foragers used to load to the left?

I used to hate loading on the right of the chopper but the then driver said it was the only way to do it in his opinion.......arrogant little runt that he was and because it was his baby even when I drove it it HAD to be done HIS way as he was on the trailer. I'd much rather load from the left myself, as would the other trailer drivers in the team, my preference stems from combine driving...... after all which side is the unloading auger on ::)

Trailed machines are best blowing to the right as the spout is nearer the trailer and the forager driver has got to look that way anyway. The main problem is that the trailer often runs on rows before they're picked up especially opening up meandering headlands. The backing swath would have to be loaded the other way though as there wouldn't usually be enough room between the hedge/fence to pick that up clockwise.

Trailed machines are best blowing to the right as the spout is nearer the trailer and the forager driver has got to look that way anyway. The main problem is that the trailer often runs on rows before they're picked up especially opening up meandering headlands. The backing swath would have to be loaded the other way though as there wouldn't usually be enough room between the hedge/fence to pick that up clockwise.

Interesting, talking of trailed foraging, have you got any pictures Nigel of years past? Can't beat classic silage scnenes involving a trailed machine.