TB

robl12

After the Government decission not to carry out a badger cull I just wondered how many of the members on here have been affected by TB and who is in favor of a cull?

Coming from the North east of Scotland which is all but TB free we do not here much about it apart from our regular testing?

How does it affect your farm being in a TB area?

We are close to a few black spots at home but being in a yearling to beef system means that we are not overly exposed thankfully although we have had a few doubtful over the years.

In Ireland we have compulsory TB testing on an annual basis paid for by the farmer although I think its part subsidised by the department. Others in our system don't like doing this and I have to agree as it seems pointless testing a month before slaughter and then they will be tested again in the factory - more red tape >:(

A few years ago there were test done in our area which all farmers gladly participated in for catching the badgers - however nothing has become of it - if it did get worse I would be in favour of a cull.

Being in a TB area means you need to be careful with stock movements in particular and stray cattle - good fencing especially sheep wire can also help ;)

Where I worked there was a badger set in sight of the farm yard and sometimes at night after harvest etc you might see them in the yard. Never had a TB case though. Last trapping session they did they caught. . . . One! ::)

im afraid i think a cull is in order.......................... sorry bagers

I agree!

Im sick of badgers. I have highland cattle that were my dads before he passed away at xmas and im trying to sell them.

One became infected with TB and had to be slaughtered and she was in calf!!! though you do get decent compensation.

Just got my first clear test last week and another test in 2 months! I hope to god its clear!

I agree with the cull of badgers. I read in the paper that as many as 40,000 cattle will be slaughtered this year. They biggest problem is that the rural affairs secretary is a vegetarian  ::) At the time the NFU said it wonders what will become of agriculture with a veggie in charge I have to agree.

2 years ago we got put down with tb in october and couldnt sell any stock whatsoever! we had to keep all the fresian bull calves and rear them for several months-we lost a fortune, that was when the beef was bad trade :(

i think badgers should be culled yes ;) ;)

In my area of Dartmoor, most of the farmers I know are under restriction of movement because of TB. In the case of a suspected or confirmed case, no cattle can be moved or sold off the premises until there have been 2 consecutive clear 6 month tests but cattle can be moved or bought in.    We milked cows here on the farm from 1961 as did the previous owner from 1948 and we never had a case of TB, suspected or confirmed, in all that time despite being overrun with badgers and a large sett at the edge of one field very close to the house. In the 1980's the then Ministry, ADAS, did an extensive survey of the area and the badgers in it and to cut a very long story short, said that on our farm the badger population were clean and healthy and therefore should be left alone to preserve that status. They also said that other badgers outside the immediate area tested positive for the disease and the worst affected ones were culled, so they did do it, but only as a trial as further action on the findings was dependant on 'Government directives'.    I'm afraid that this latest back-step is nothing more than political and aimed at 'vote catching' from the general public after the recent downturn in votes for Labour.    What the Goverment don't tell the public, which I think is more important, is that badgers are the biggest carrier of Anthrax, and that is a notifiable disease. Everything is not as 'black and white' as it seems. It would'nt worry me if the whole badger population in this country were wiped out completeley, together with those that wish to preserve the filthy dirty stinking things.  Apologies to anyone I may offend with my last comment.