Farming action in the Lower Rhine Plain (Germany)

Richard de Florennes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some real nice blue skies in these photo's, proper winter days. I thought the method of topping and then picking up was an older, less common one but I have been proved wrong. A see you had a nice ride in the Fendt. How do they keep in a straight line, is it quite easy to pick the rows out from the seat of the tractor?

Great pictures RDF. One question though, how come they just dump the beets in the field and not take them away??

I think this is not too different from the harvesting methods in the UK. Forming clamps of beets at one side of the field is quite usual there too as far as I know.

The point is that the sugar factories can not accomodate millions of tons of sugar beets within a few weeks. Therefore, the harvesting period is strectched from September to January in order to allow smooth logistic operations.

Over here, every farmer receives a certain date and amount for delivery. The delivery date is strict and must not be delayed, not even due to the weather.

Therefore, farmers and their contractors harvest around one week before the delivery date and order to safeguard keeping the delivery date.

For the time between harvest and final delivery, the beets are stored as a clamp and later transported by lorries or big trailers to the factory on time. The loading can be done with fron loader, digger with beet basket and special loading "mouse".

Hope this makes sense for you.

Some real nice blue skies in these photo's, proper winter days. I thought the method of topping and then picking up was an older, less common one but I have been proved wrong. A see you had a nice ride in the Fendt. How do they keep in a straight line, is it quite easy to pick the rows out from the seat of the tractor?

The method of the so-called two-phase sugar beet harvest is becoming absolete over here indeed and that's why I am hunting for this systems will I give not too much attention for the big monsters staying over here for the next decades. In Belgium, France and the USA the system was and stays very popular and that's why I have become almost Belgium-addicted in recent weeks. (can not afford US-trips and France is rather far from here, too)

Keeping in stright line should be as easy or difficult as driving a car in exactly stright line - or Gavin will confirm - harvesting potatos.

It is more difficult to find the exact rows and break-throughs when beginning harvest, especially on the head-lands of a non symetric fields, where rows cross each other at one side. Once you have discovered the geometry of rows on a particular field, things become easier.

Many sugar beet harvesters are however equipped with automatic row-finding - with a visual or physical seeker/feeler finding the rows and gaps between them and electronically "orders" the harvester to make little adjustments of direction. This if especially the case with the big self-propelled machines.

hello

may i ask if you could explain a little about the work being done by the Lexion harvester please

the Lexion harvester is a combine harvester produced by Claas, Germany.

On my pictures it is equipped with a six-row maize head.

Contrary to foraging maize, in this case the maize is treshed inside the mashine and only the grain corn is used - the same as harvesting wheat, ot or rye ...

Hope this makes everything clear

Then I found this dull but for me very interesting carrot harvesting scene, including three John Deere and one Fendt tractors, a Dewulf two-row overloading harvester and a former towed BLEINROTH sugar beet tanker harvester converted to a pure tanker loader (a lot of parts are deleted, see earlier pictures in this topic for a complete tanker loader of this brand and make).

The latter was used when the box trailers were enroute to the storage barn and carrots had to be loaded to other waiting conventional trailers which are not suitable for driving over the field all the time ...

vIMG_4801.jpgvIMG_4815.jpgvIMG_4819.jpgvIMG_4820.jpg