HARVESTING AT WESTSIDE OF SKENE ABERDEENSHIRE 08/09/2008

BC

Well yesterday evening I was coming along the Westhill to Peterculter road and noticed a Class Dominator sitting in a field at Nicol's of Skene at their Westside farm minus a cutting bar but a full cart of grain in the field. I thought to meself they must be going to shift somewhere shortly. I met Derek Nicol and his wife coming along the road in their jeep so I did a quick turnabout and met Derek coming along the road with the combine. Back to the Carnie roundabout for me and back to the field to see some action from some older kit again. It's a Claas Dominator 106 B reg circa 1984 with a 15 foot cut. Was between 7 and 8pm so it was getting dull so apologies in advance for the photos. After the first round Derek shouted me ac cross and asked if I wanted to do a round in the combine. Well I couldn't refuse a jaunt in a combine for the third time this year ;D ;D

No second seat in this one and not so fancy as the JD and Lexion I was in the other week but as Derek says it does the job and what's the point in having money tied up in expensive kit which is only used for 3 weeks of the year. By 8 pm it was beginning to get dark and damp and the straw was sticking to the header so it was time to stop.

Anyway on with the shots

0892008001.jpg

I do like the "Dinky" F reg Ford 1720 used to move the header ;D ;D

0892008002.jpg

0892008003.jpg

0892008004.jpg

0892008005.jpg

Unusual tractor that on the header trailer - there is some steel in it anyway :D :D

Nice pictures Bill ;)

Yes it is rather a small one Colm. I saw it last week and had a laugh about it but as Derek said last night no point in tying up a big tractor to cart around the header when a small one would do. makes sense really. It is used for the garden grass cutting in the Summer with those tyres and a scraper in the winter time for snow.

Yes it is rather a small one Colm. I saw it last week and had a laugh about it but as Derek said last night no point in tying up a big tractor to cart around the header when a small one would do. makes sense really. It is used for the garden grass cutting in the Summer with those tyres and a scraper in the winter time for snow.

Indeed Bill - I met a guy last Sunday night with a MF 35 on the header bogie for his MF 34 combine - was a fine sight - we generally move the header with our 3600 or in the night with the Valtra as we can use all the lights to good effect ;)

Great pic's, i like the unloading pic with the wall between the combine and the trailer.

Erik.

Yes Erik kinda clever that leaving the trailer on a hard standing road to make pick up easier. Nicols run a public works / tarring business too so that road leads to where they crush and grade stones etc.

Very nice pictures. Those the farmers have there own combine or have only contractors combines?

texas

That is there own combine Texas and Derek doesn't see the point in spending money on a newer version when it will only sit in a shed for most of the year and depreciate.

some tidy gear like the combine shes well look after by the looks of things

dont get me started on the tm  :-*  :P :P :P:-*:-*

Aye the Nicol's keep a tidy farming fleet Murray. Derek's father Arthur is a particularly fussy kinda character.

nice pics bill i was talking to donald  the other night and he was saying that the farmers are having a torrid time trying to get the harvest in up with you , would  that be going for feed or malting bill .

Ah Donald from Wick I last met him at the BA working day event a year past May but may well see him this coming Saturday at a working day at Daviot near Inverness. He is booked into the model tent and I'm planning going up weather permitting as a spectator only.

Obviously they want to get as much way for malting as possible but that depends on nitrogen levels but I expect they will be lower this year with all the rain. I never really discuss with farmers what they are doing with and what prices they are getting in case they think I'm prying ;)

Still a lot of combines sitting in fields and farmyards and acres to cut so you could see some more pictures from me on my travels