Disc Plough ??????

richie

HI there lads, I was going past this engineer works and seen this, well I think you would call it a disc plough. I have not seen anything like it before Ia'm not to sure if it is a conversion or been built from the factory. It has no name on it and it doesn't look as if it has been used very much just looking at the disc's they are hardly worn. It's in a bit of a state but some new tyres and a splash of paint who knows. Have any of you's lot seen one of these before.

post-59-132638495212_thumb.jpg

Guest Fendt pwr

Arh ok mate,sorry did'nt look at your profile.

I have seen the odd one of them here in NZ but they never took off here.If I remember right they were used to work rough peat land.

Guest Fendt pwr

Was talking to the dad tonight and he said that he has used a 8 disc disc plough with a davie brown tractor on grandads farm many years ago when they were brakeing in a rough paddock.

Was a right pain in the bum to use he said,very slow and clumbersome and did'nt cover much of the trash over.

Guest quangova

Back in the Early 90's there was a push on using disc ploughs in the UK, a farm i worked for bought one... and it was useless.. as said above didn't bury trash and on heavy clay soil left great big soil boulders and if they dried out it took hell an all to break them down, it got used for about a week and then spent the next year in the shed before being traded in for a SIMBA disc & rolls set-up.

any body ever seen the four disc Volac disc plough from the 90's? i used to use one on the farm i worked on when i first left school, bit of a heavy beast at 1900kg, left alot of trash on the top too, but he swore by it! When Dowdeswell bought Volac they soon dumped it from the range

Guest quangova

I think disc ploughs were used extensively in Africa.? I seem to remember a picture of a trial version in one of the tractor mags.

Yep Africa, the Middle east and Australia

Guest Fendt pwr

The idea was a bit of a fizzer it's fair to say.I can't think of any job a disc plough could do beter than a chisel plough.The mighty chisel plough is starting to come back in fashsion over here,I've seen a few guys replace old bits of kit with a good tidy chisel plough.

Thanks for all the info lads, It looks as if it was one of these implements that didn't work. That is why I hadn't seen one before and explains why the disc's are not worn. Tried one pass and put too the back of the yard.

I got some more info on this disc plough today, I was with my boss today and we passed the place were the plough was and I asked if he know any thing about them. He was saying that he used to use them in the 90's, This one is made buy International and that they used to be very popular here in Western Australia. He said this one is a small one and that he used to pull two thirty disc ploughs behind a Versatile artic pushing out 300 hp. The soil here is very sandy and they were right for the conditions but now every one is now on single pass so they became useless and now are worth only scrap money. He said he might have a photo of him using them so we'll wait and see