grain and silage towers and silos

toyboy

can anyone help, i was wondering how tall these towers are and what diameter base they have, i have seen  both very tall ones and also the smaller ones. could you also explain there purpose, i have seen the smaller ones used for silage but are some of them used for grain storage aswell i thought i might have a go at making one or two if i decide to start a layout if they are used for grain storage is the grain dried before it is stored or is it stored then dried as and when it is needed. some pics would be brilliant if anyone can get some, never seem to see any getting put up these days, have they gone out of fashion for some reason were they mainly built in the 70's and 80's any info on these things would be much appreciated :)

there is some pics of silage towers on my work topic mate i shall be working on three in southampton later this week mate ,and we still errect them permastore ones that is , the grain towers you do not need to dry the corn for them if you are going to feed it to animals it rolls out better moist for the feed , the silage towers are around 25ft diameter around 80,to 100ft tall hold around 450 to600 ton of silage if the silage is made in the right condition it is lovely stuff will be better than clamp silage any day , we service around twenty silos and unloaders but some of them are not used in farming well they are i suppose the end of the line thou meat and bone are stored in some  ;)

thats magic graeme :) just remember and take your camera with you when you go to those towers later in the week, one more question the towers you mentioned at 80 -100 feet i take it they are the taller ones, if so would the shorter ones be nearer the 50 feet mark?

Grain towers for human consumption rather than animal feed look the same but if the grain is over moisture then it is dried first. Some towers are fitted with a fan and a vented floor. Ambient air is sucked in, blown through the fan and under the floor (or through air ducts in the bottom of the silo) and then the air works it's way up through the grain to an air vent at the top and escapes. This keeps the grain cool but if it is damp and the ambient air warm. . .  there could be trouble in the storage.

thats magic graeme :) just remember and take your camera with you when you go to those towers later in the week, one more question the towers you mentioned at 80 -100 feet i take it they are the taller ones, if so would the shorter ones be nearer the 50 feet mark?

the silos in southampton are around 50ft mate one holds meat and bone for burning the others have what they call olympic waste it is ment to be organic materail out of london where the building work for the games is going on but it is just a load of metal ,concrete , tree roots , been crushed up and we have to keep repairing the unloaders to get the stuff out the silos then they burn it to make electric in the end

The silo's pictured look like animal feed bins, such as cattle cake (cubes), chicken or pig feed and also grain storage. To store grain in this way the moisture content needs to be no more than 18%.

Brushwood Toys produce a set of these bins or silo's, a large floor standing one and a smaller diameter one on a stand together with an auger, made of silver grey plastic. They are very flimsy, rather weak and often out of shape when assembled, not worth the money, anyone could do better themselves using corrugated card in my opinion.

george poole does some lovly garin silos, i have 2 and tris has one, all out of card, and well made, cost a bit, mine were 40 quid each, but worth every penny, ladders cages ect all fitted, along with the side door for inspections when empty, only thing i need to add is a unloading spout , tris knows how to contact him