Ploughing a beach?

James T

In a separate, non-farming forum, a member has commented on a farmer ploughing a beach in SW Scotland - anyone have any idea why this might be done?  I offered up the suggestion to dig up bait, but that's probably way off the mark!  I too have seen a (very small) beach being ploughed by a three-furrow and old grey 'Fergie' in the past.  Any ideas?

the above post could be right but i have seen it get done up here then the boys from the local quarry comes in and starts to fill the lorries with all the sand that been ploughed up , so maybe its just to break the sand up making it easier for the loading shovel :-\

it is just possible I know where you are talking about , my mate`s beach gets used by a few folks as has already been said its to get the rust off the mouldboards before they start to use the plough........and the rust off  themselves !!!!!

...I believe there is a competition somewhere , it may be orkney, where the young farmers compete in  ploughing the sand.

it is just possible I know where you are talking about , my mate`s beach gets used by a few folks as has already been said its to get the rust off the mouldboards before they start to use the plough........and the rust off  themselves !!!!!

...I believe there is a competition somewhere , it may be orkney, where the young farmers compete in  ploughing the sand.

hmm could be right think that comp is in orkney lad, the comp we do over here with the yf is plough alnight  :o  :D :D

That is exactly what's doing, shining boards before a ploughing comp. However, if anyone is caught doing it on a public beach they will be prosecuted by the local Authority as it is deemed illegal. A chap I know did the same and was put infront the 'beak' and fined a heafty sum. Expensive way of cleaning up your plough, better to grease or varnish the boards after use.

He could be scouring the plough to shine up the mould boards to get it ready for a ploughing match  :-\ :-\ that way it is straight into action when the competition begins

I suspect you are spot on with that suggestion Mike.

As to the "straight" comment well that depends on who is ploughing ;D