Sticking Wood Together

Loft Farmer

Question

8 answers to this question

I want to construct a workshop , do you think wood glue is strong enough to hold all the sections together, i am using 5mm x 5mm square section pinewood. Has anyone got any tips on joining wood together.  ??? ???

Personally I would try and make a small joint then use some faster super glue rather than wood glue as it takes ages to set.

Take a look at this topic and maybe PM the guy who built it or have a look at his website.

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=25182.msg506673#msg506673

If you have patience... use wood glue - quick drying high grip stuff usually takes about 30 mins to leave a joint 'stuck'... but you are usually best to leave joints overnight to fully harden... if you need a quicker build than 'one joint at a time' (or you have no clamps to use) then go for superglue as Jez said... woodglue with give a stronger joint in the long run...

If you wood is quite 'resin-y' then superglue may struggle I reckon... Pine tends to have a high resin content as well..

Some of the super glues like Roket and Zap-A-Gap are good for wood as they really get into the grain and bind it together well. But like a couple of others have said, dowel/pin joints will be the best way to make the joint itself as there are lots of surface areas to apply the glue of your choice to.