airbrush, which one??

sparrow legs

Question

im after an airbrush for spraying sheds, models etc and weathering things, i dont want to spend much, looking for one that runs off the propellant or a compressor, any ideas?? local model shop can order me a basic one for £22 recomends one in stock for £40 but says the one he sells most of are £99 in a woodern case with various nozzles ect included :o im thinking of the cheepest to see how i get on with them first, if the results are good thinking of the £99 + kit in the future

any comments

7 answers to this question

Mike... go for the cheapie mate... for us novices it's quite hard to tell the difference really... Clarke do a plastic one for a few quid and a metal bodied version for about £20... I'd say either will do you..

You will only need a small cup for the volume you use when weathering things that's for sure... you don't need the big hefty jar they sometimes come with mate  ;)

I'm running mine off a normal air compressor regulated down to about 20psi - it only comes on about once an hour as they use such little free air

Take a look at everythingairbrush, they are an ebay shop. They sell the AB airbrushes they are a £35 copy of the £100+ airbrushes I use, they are not half the quality and you don't get the warranty BUT they have a good spray pattern, the parts are cheep and it has a metal body. far far better than a cheep plastic body hobby brush from revel or badger. Also for what you want you don't need a fine needle. there is also the G35 from premair I will have a look as I found a dealer and I have heard good things from RC shell painters

The thing is if you are planning on painting large areas or using the airbrush a lot you do need a compressor as you will be going through cans of propelant faster than you can buy them, Also the cans are a pain in the arse as if you use them for a big job the regulator will freeze up and as the can empties the pressure will keep changing ::)

If you want a high quality airbrush you need to be spending £75+ at least. and you realy need a compressor :'(

Hope this helps a bit as I have gone on a bit :D::)

I just read a article on buying airbrushes in Fine Model Scale Magazine, and for someone who is just starting it suggested a single action air brush which is easier then a double...for the future a double is better,  for a rookie a single action will be a good start.......Cost should be 20 to 40 pounds at the most............

ps Dusty's gt more talent then the rest of us...........................................

I just read a article on buying airbrushes in Fine Model Scale Magazine, and for someone who is just starting it suggested a single action air brush which is easier then a double...for the future a double is better,  for a rookie a single action will be a good start.......Cost should be 20 to 40 pounds at the most............

ps Dusty's gt more talent then the rest of us...........................................

Please.  I just research the heck out of it.  True a single action is better for beginners..but if you are going to do a bit of painting and like to upgrade alot a dual action is the way to go..may be a bit more learning with it but once you get the hang of it, it will stay with you for a long time.