how to bend 3mm hollow steel tubing

farmermarshall

Question

hi guys have this tubing but would like to bend it without kinking it for a chrome style exhaust any pipe benders i,m came across are from 6mm upwards i tried putting a smaller round piece of aluminium inside it but went i put a bend in it i could'nt get the inner one out again..... anyone that can enlighten me  :D;)

try finding a small spring stephen with some wire attatched to pull the spring back out , the spring should unravel itself free leaving the pipe without a kink.

otherwise try some high tensile fencing wire & leave about 3mm from the top , that way you should get the bend , but at least show the hole for the top of the pipe , exhaust pipe i take it ?

what ever your bending has to have some sort of suport on the inside  or else it will kink i know  there are springs that plumbers and electricians use inside pipes /conduate

3m is kinda small what size are the springs in a  biro pen will they fit inside ???

Looks ok to me Stephen, if I was to suggest anything it would be the springs that jdc mentioned or to put a rod part way down the exhaust so it was on the bend but out of sight.... looking at that one though I think you would see it. Aluminium tube might be better for the job... a bit softer and easier to work.

Looks ok to me Stephen, if I was to suggest anything it would be the springs that jdc mentioned or to put a rod part way down the exhaust so it was on the bend but out of sight.... looking at that one though I think you would see it. Aluminium tube might be better for the job... a bit softer and easier to work.

tryed pushing the rod down the inside there tonight for a quick and easy option but yes i,ll try the Aluminium rod i,ll master this yet but MDford has done a fair nice job and i,ll try the spring thing too  ;) thanks Jas