Barry's John Deere 8400 - European Specification

I recieved this Ertl JD 8400 from the USA via ebay, they didnt tell me the exhaust was broken and a piece under the exhaust was missing, so this gave me the perfect excuse to have a go at chopping her up and making a Euro Spec

Pic 1 is the model as i recieved it

Pic 2 is the model in bits having taken the front axel off

post-864-132639012094_thumb.jpg

post-864-132639012115_thumb.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pic 3 - cut the rear mudguards from a McCormick 115 and stuck them onto the JD, used filler and sanded to shape

Pic 4 - Wheels

Front wheel hubs from McCormick ZTX, then added the centre part from the original 8400 (had them cast in resin) ZTX tyres will be used

Rear wheel hubs from a John Deere 8430, took the rear wheels off an 8430, removed the outer wheels and will use the inner wheels, ZTX tyres to be used on the rears

post-864-132639012133_thumb.jpg

post-864-132639012147_thumb.jpg

Feel free to look in my topic in 'latest tractor conversions' to see how I did mine Barry ;)

Any help or advice needed just PM me :)

I studied it long and hard Paul, it gave me the inspiration to get on and do it!!

Pic 5 - After shaping the rear mudguard (somewhere near to what they're like) added mudguard extensions and put in some rear lights

Pic 6 - Painted rear lights and added ploughing lights, alos taken off the quick hitch and painted the linkage

post-864-132639012158_thumb.jpg

post-864-132639012169_thumb.jpg

You bu66er!! That's a different decal version to mine I think  :'( :o :'(

Sure it is going to look good though. Why not go the whole hog and get some 10 series decals for her too  :)

Cheers Tris.

Does yours have the black horizontal lines in the decal?

I might get some 10 series decals on another one, got to get a ZTX at a decent pricefirst!

And here she is finished,

Pic 13 - front, added mirrors that are custom made from brass tubing sloted into each other and the 8400 original mirrors cut and used again.  Front lights painted as indicator lights and ploughing lights added ontop.  

Pic 14 - Side view

post-864-13263901259_thumb.jpg

post-864-132639012625_thumb.jpg

That is beautiful!! Yes I have two with the older decals Barry. One I was going to do this too and make it into an 8110 to be a bit different. I have neither the balls nor the time to di it though and think I would be better sitting on the second one and wait for a good time to sell it.

That is beautiful!! Yes I have two with the older decals Barry. One I was going to do this too and make it into an 8110 to be a bit different. I have neither the balls nor the time to di it though and think I would be better sitting on the second one and wait for a good time to sell it.

Go on Tris, do it...i studied pictures from Paul's conversion and found 3 or 4 threads on GTP, got all the parts together and just took my time, it's taken me about 3 weeks to do this in the evenings.

She is beautiful Barry just beautiful like a princess mate  :o :o :o Well done  :)

Cheers Pete, thought you might like her  :)

Excellent Convo Barry , mudguard extensions look spot on  :o :o :o

And the wheels fit a treat  8) 8)

Thanks Simon, took me ages to find the right rear wheels, only by chance i though of using the 8430 inner wheels....got to do something with the 8430 now!