county 1124 super six

miker

Another nice one miker! ;)

yes i echo that comment brilliant job. heres something that should make you smile! and perhaps bring back memories/nightmares for those of us that have had dealings with these old countys and hopefully serve as a warning for those that have them knocking about.the cab which mike has fitted to this model is a duncan just for those that didnt know, with the real cabs the doors swung open and had check chains doing the same job as modern gas struts. if you let aduncan door swing fully open and drive the tractor with the door swinging around guess what happens?. i will tell you -when the wheels are in full lock the doors hit the tyres and before you know it and before you come to a stop the wheel very quickly removes the door for you from its hinge pins and leaves it dangling on its chain to be smashed around in between the front and raer wheels. so i have been told whoops i meant been there done that got the tee shirt and a bollocking as an apprentice.

a bit like our 6600 with q cab then, doors open on hot day, drive through gateway, you know the rest :D :D

splitting these old girls with james jones cranes was not too bad a job. leave them hitched to loaded trailer,swing the grab round and grab a big grab full of logs and slew slightly and lower to the ground. when push the tractor apart the rear end use to sit there nicely without blocks or a jack.

like this one

thats the ones mike, yeah use to have some 1124 and 1164 versions around here,worked on them both. the only extra work was the treeguards/supports up and over. i actually got knocked by one of them once!.there use to be an ag contractor that had 1124 with bomford snowplough subframe on the front which they attached a grays push off buckrake for silage clamping. that tractor could clmb nigh on vertical!. they knew the clamp was steep enough when the rear lower links scrapped the groun when they were in the raised position! and thats no lie.

i love these stories, keep them coming ;)

if i remember correctly mind you its been quite a few years now! maybe some one else might remember?. when the ford 2700 series engines were fitted in county tractors and perhaps other conversion tractors they had different sumps. i believe they were deeper sumps and obviously deeper oil pump pick up pipes which allowed the tractors to be used to the limits of there capabilities when climbing or down grading to prevent oil starvation.the later tractors used ford 401  6 cylinder engines.

i love these stories, keep them coming ;)

problems with these big old girls/ power steering ram bolts getting sheared off was common. as with many four wheel drive conversions of the era - not single out county in particular! there often was problems with the rear axle. granted bearings were uprated in gearboxes but the rear axle in most cases was purely ford 5000. often these tractors were ballasted to the maximum and on occassions beyond!, first problem were cracked wheel rim lugs and/or sheared bolts, secondly sheared wheel studs. after that any problems became more expensive and serious in nature. namely sheared off crown wheel bolts/pinion bearing failure/teeth damage of crown wheel and pinion. in extreme cases failure of "muff" coupling .this was the female/female internally splined coupling that joined the output of the gearbox to the rear axle pinion shaft, these could be sheared or split open. most problems were generally in the rear axle. today many people marvel at these tractors and hold them in high esteem myself included but it has to be remembered some of these old girls were worked very hard- exactly what they were designed to do and not playthings. this is more and more being taken into account recently amongst collectors of real tractors with a great many of them receiving full overhauls when being restored.