Marky's visit to Beauvais... the home of MF tractors...

Lord Ferguson

Well then....

I was fortunate enough to be invited by my local dealers (Mark Weatherhead) and Agco to a two day 'jolly' to MF's Beauvais manufacturing plant 'a la France'

What can I say  :o :o - 50 of us went over on a coach (via the shuttle)... we were treated like kings for the entire two days... 4 course meals (even at the factory for lunch)... coaches too and from the pubs (free beer - 10pts of Kronenberg and I don't drink a lot  :o:-[;D :'( )

So... anyway... I took a few pictures for you all too look at.  Sorry about the quality... I was told that MF don't allow ANY pictures in the factory (as it's against union rules)... but having 'twisted the arm' and smiling sweetly to the UK salesman I was granted permission to take some pictures without the flash on - this makes for a very slow shutter time so a lot of the pics didn't come out very well  :-[ - but I guess we are lucky to have really  :-\

When we first arrived we were taken into the Technology centre for coffee and cake...

IMGP2790.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about some oldies...

Grey Fergie.. serial number one... Driven by Mr Harry Ferguson himself...

Ferguson Brown... first tractor to sport 3pt linkage...

FE35... serial number one (or possibly two... I couldn't quite hear that bit)...

IMGP2777.jpg

MF65..

IMGP2776.jpg

One of the original Pole tractors...

IMGP2778.jpg

Nearly forgot this one as well.... Mart would love this I reckon... it was literally MINT  :-*

IMGP2840.jpg

Then it was into a HUGE theatre for a film on the development of the 8690.... Pics were impossible in there sadly...

IMGP2789.jpg

Then.... off for the tour.... I just managed to snap this orange 54 as it flew past to the colection area after assembly

IMGP2802.jpg

So... we went off to the part department first.. they take in pallets of parts (small parts) all day everyday... it's all kept in a huge automated stacking system using metal 'stilages' to supply the production line...

Sadly... I didn't get any pictures of that bit  :-[

Next we moved on to Engines... here they take in a days supply of engines from two manufacturers... already pre-assembled and QC checked by the manufacturer (Perkins and Sisu)...

IMGP2807.jpg

Same goes for Axles... (really sorry about the quality of the pics)

IMGP2808.jpg

As I walked past I snapped some pics of the line (later in the tour).. some painted panels going around the system drying...

IMGP2806.jpg

Here's a 7400 series being assembled (once again snapped as I walked past)...

IMGP2809.jpg

Now MF have split the factory in to two manufacturing centres... at the back of the factory they have a joint venture with Claas to make all the back end components and gearboxes...

we were shown the HUNDREDS of machine they have making each and every component - usually from a grey casting... being machined fully (teeth cut etc.)

IMGP2810.jpg

They buy all the castings in from an outside supplier in the rough... and machine them on site...

Here is the castings outside awaiting machining...

IMGP2812.jpg

This machine works 24/7 - to finish the castings... they run two at a cost of £3m EACH ! - they were building a space for another 6 to be installed shortly  :o :o

IMGP2813.jpg

They have all sorts of machines... this one was induction hardening an axle driveshaft...

IMGP2811.jpg

that orange glow is the shaft being heated to 1200 degrees with electricity... it got it to that temp in a matter of seconds - they must have some electricity meter  :o :o

Quality control plays a HUGE part in the entire manufacturing process... there were testing departments everywhere... this machine measured machining tollerences down to 1 single micron  :o :o

IMGP2814.jpg

Here is a casting that's been selected for random testing... they also test the first one of each batch...

IMGP2815.jpg

Here is a dyna 4 unit thats been rejected...

IMGP2817.jpg

and a dyna 6 too

IMGP2818.jpg

Once assembled.. the parts get added to the moving track and built up to what now starts to look like a tractor skid unit...

IMGP2816rot.jpg

some more of the assembly track...

IMGP2819.jpg

After the skid is assembled it goes up a track... through a washing machine for de-greasing and then it's painted by hand  :o (as apose to robot I mean)..

IMGP2821.jpg

Cabs come in in the raw... they are assembled and tested on a seperate line prior to 'mating' with the reast of the machines...

IMGP2824.jpg

IMGP2825.jpg

IMGP2826.jpg

IMGP2827.jpg

final assembly is actually very quick.... if you think about it... a tractor is mostly engine, gearbox and backend really... the actual panels, cab and twiddly bits (fuel tank, battery etc.) all bolt on very quickly and easily...

here are some tin parts awaiting fitment... as you csan see they can (and do) make tractors in blue (Iseki), Yellow (Cat for the USA markets) Orange (for both Agco brand and MF municipal) and of course red  ;D

IMGP2823.jpg

So... the wheels come down a track... the cab track merges on the skid unit and hey presto... a tractor is born  ;D

IMGP2828.jpg

IMGP2829.jpg

IMGP2830.jpg

After filling with oil, fuel, water etc. the tractor is driven off the line...

IMGP2831.jpg

Then is straight onto a rolling road... for testing of functions such as the brakes, road speed, diff-lock, 4wd etc.

IMGP2833.jpg

Then it's off for oil leak testing.. they use UV inspection lamps to check for any problems here...

this one had just been checked and passed on to final inspection....

IMGP2835rot.jpg

IMGP2836rot.jpg

Final inspection is a full check of all functions (electrical etc.) and quality of build...

some machines (going far overseas... such as New Zealand or the States) get a coating of protective wax for the journey...

IMGP2839.jpg

I snapped a few beaties on the wat past final QC...

Agco branded 8690.. (slightly different of course)

IMGP2838rot.jpg

:-*:-* :-*:-*

IMGP2837rot.jpg

Once finished... the machines are parked ready for collection via lorry.... quite a few loads left as we were walking past.. here is the parking area....

IMGP2841.jpg

IMGP2842.jpg

IMGP2843.jpg

The factory has been making 90 tractors a day for some time (flat out) there is still a waiting list for MF machines - so business is still doing well thankfully  ;D - without wanting to start a war - they claim to have taken a lot of ground on the green brigade since the launch of the x400 series of tractors... I guess with a 5 year warranty they are very confident of the product  :-\

Then it was on to lunch... 4 courses... superbly presented as well  :o

IMGP2800.jpg

I just had to show you this... it was in the restuarant...

IMGP2801rot.jpg

that's it for the factory tour... we also had a ride and drive area setup for us near Beauvais airport... I'll put that in a seperate topic later on  :P

wow looks very interesting was the tour in french  ???

It was buddy... and no it was conducted by two of the MF reps (who look after the dealers)

Marky, you're spot on I just love that 3080........That would set me back a few bob........  :D :D :o :o

I did try to put it in my bag for you mate... but the zip wouldn't open wide enough  :o:D :D

that 3080 is nice  :P :P look at all that kit  :) your a lucky man marky  :)  i went to banner lane before to pick 3 masseys with my uncle they were somthing like 4245  :-\ ??? but they were snoppys  but i can remember the lines and lines of red everywhere , we took them down to pembroke dock and they were sent to ireland :) :)

Marky I was studing the mf 65 you took a picture of and then I went and look at tractor house here in the states and there seems only to be a little difference on the bonnet where the badge is at....these were 1961 65....do you have a pic of a UK 65 to see the diff of the new ttt mf 65 that is coming??

Also do these MF you seen made shipped to the States?????

Some very interesting things you've caught on camera there Mark, looks like you had one heck of a trip. I'm still wiping up the drool from seeing that spotless 3080, stunning looking tractor. :) Only time i've ever been on a factory tour was to the Caterpillar Factory at North Desford in Leicstershire, amazing experience and lots of nice old machines on display.  

The MF 2wd was off to the states pops... we don't have 2wds here any more really... they said it was only 3% of production... and mostly all for the states mate..

The 65 in here is a UK version mate  ;)

thanks for the kind comments lads... and sorry for the quality of the pics once again..  :-[

Some very interesting things you've caught on camera there Mark, looks like you had one heck of a trip. I'm still wiping up the drool from seeing that spotless 3080, stunning looking tractor. :) Only time i've ever been on a factory tour was to the Caterpillar Factory at North Desford in Leicstershire, amazing experience and lots of nice old machines on display.  

It was a great trip... thanks David... my only regret is that I didn't take my Nikon and tripod... I could have got some cracking pics then  :-[

The 3080 was a beauty for sure  :-*