MASSEY FERGUSON 8480

Here is what ive been at over the last 2 weeks,ill take you through my build,prob one of the most complex and expensive models to date,you will need 1)mf 8280   2)mf 5480   3)wiking fendt 936   4)front linkage  and 3 days to complete

(Edited for Text Talk)

post-1779-132639050862_thumb.jpg

post-1779-13263905092_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now for the technical side,the chassis work first,i didnt like wikings front links so took it off an replaced it with my own,there is a lot of work to do here to get it right,filling out etc..... the bottom plate that screws up into the chassis will have to be filed down as well because when you put the steps in their new lower position its a tight fit

post-1779-132639051311_thumb.jpg

post-1779-13263905133_thumb.jpg

one more pic of mudguards joined and filled out,second pic of bonnet,to get it right you must cut out the side panels on 8280 bonnet as there solid and the 8480 are vented...also you will have to shape the lower half of bonnet side panels as the 8480 slopes in towards the engine more than the 8280,s side panels,also the 936 engine will need relocated further back and a few modifications needed when in place to suit the mf bonnet,also add the vario touchscreen to the cab interior

post-1779-13263905172_thumb.jpg

post-1779-13263905175_thumb.jpg

one more of bonnet and then a few mid build pics,there will have to be spacers made for under the bonnet to get it to the right height at this stage,i shaped 1 the same as chassis and the 2nd the shape of the bonnet,add together and then fill and rub down and you have a perfect job.....the fendts front axle also needs a bit of cutting and adjusting to look like the 8480,s but when time is spent here it turns out fantastic

post-1779-132639051781_thumb.jpg

post-1779-132639051813_thumb.jpg

more pics,the exhaust center is from a 6290 with a biro cut to size for the outer bit and the exhaust guard is made from fine mesh shaped like the real one,the steps are now in a slightly lower position than they were on the fendt,theres a lot of trying and experimenting needed to get things perfect,the front weight of the fendt has also now been modified to look like mf one

post-1779-132639051846_thumb.jpg

post-1779-132639051899_thumb.jpg

the front grill has been made from plasticard with two mf 5480 headlights inserted at bottom and top lights are a trick of my own,the grill can be difficult to get right,if the lights are not in right place then bang goes your good job....ive left the wheel weights coming on and off as i cant decide if i want them on or off,at times this felt like a scratchbuild

post-1779-132639051964_thumb.jpg

hope this is of help to anyone thinking of doing this,it was very rewarding to see the finished product,ill be adding it to my shelf shortly and then back to scratch with another mf

Hats off to you! I thought the 4370 looked expensive but this :o

It has well and truelly paid off though without any doubt. Even the exhaust sounds like a mission to me! :D What a stunning model.

Will you try the baler as per the brochure pic then? ;D

ive already my next mf on the bench ready for the conversion,but id def like a 8280 now to go beside the 8480,again id use the fendt chassis,it has quality...the baler could be done yes but my time mite not allow it,im flat out at min with showtime coming im hard at the foragers

Crikey Brian, you're not shy about laying into the parts are you! I think 40 quid is a high material cost for a customisation but this one must have cost you a fortune. Does look amazing though, wish I could get a finish like you do ;);D